Tandem46

Well Known Member
I have a question that may seem dumb and shows my lack of understanding of the system. I currently have one mag and one LSE. I will soon be receiving a Pmag to replace my mag, so I'll have LSE on one side, Pmag on the other. My question, timing wise, is will the two systems work together. I started thinking what if one system was advancing/retarding the spark just a bit more or less than the other system. Is this even possible or am I over thinking it.

Thanks

Hi Tobin,

I don't see any way that the LSE and P-Mag will synchronize if that's what you were asking. As for being timed differently, how will it be any different from your current LSE and Mag setup. You don't think those fire at the same time do you :p

Rusty

PS- Did you have a good trip to OR? I should be at the airport full time with the RV-8 in just a couple weeks. The weather's getting nice. Gotta get this thing flying.

tobinbasford said:
Is this even possible or am I over thinking it.

Thanks

Yup.

With two different systems they will always not be "perfectly" syncronized. This would be true with two mags or two P-Mags or whatever. They may be off by a billionith of a degree but it would be doubtful that every iginition event would be syncronized. If I recall correctly (recall at my age is not always perfect :) ) on my O-300 Cont. the mags were intentionally not set to the same timing but were off by 5 degrees or so. Best of flying to you. I'll bet you will get GREAT fuel efficiency with your set up.