Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So I see that PS Engineering has released this new Audio Panel.
http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma5000ex.shtml

I guess it's similar to the Garmin 240. Neither has a Marker Beacon. I'm planning on an IFR panel, however I'm not currently IFR rated.

For you instrument rated guys, do I need a MB in this day and age assuming that I'll have at least one 430W in the panel?

For you instrument rated guys, do I need a MB in this day and age assuming that I'll have at least one 430W in the panel?

You still have MBs active in your area? The ones around have been down for quite awhile. I don't know the timeline, but I thought they were being phased out.

Dunno. I guess to be more specific as to my original question:

1. Can a GPS waypoint on the 430W substitute for the MB, if the MB is part of the approach?
2. If so, is there a compelling reason to install an audio panel with MB capability in light of MB phase out?

I think a MB is becoming baggage for light aircraft in the US. It seems like they are all being phased out, unless the runway in question also supports cat II or III ILS operations. Even if you land on those runways, you won't need a MB since you won't be flying those approaches (unless you have a radar altimeter)