C-FAH Q

Well Known Member
This year, my upgrades to the avionics in my RV7 included a Garmin SL30 and a PMA 8000BT audio panel. With the addition of a second com, I removed my PS1000 intercom(which has worked flawlessly over the past couple years) and installed the audio panel. I had Stienair make the harness for my setup and while that was happening, I carved up my panel and moved my gps to make room for the additions.
Once everything was installed and tested on the ground the next step was to fly test everything. I must say, the quality of the sound in the PS Engineering units are second to none, no background noise and clear as crystal voice. The unit is very easy to operate and layout is very simple to get used to. At first, I was wondering how well a single volume control was going to be for all headsets, but it was not an issue and sound was the same in both headsets.
I tested the telephone portion of the audio panel, which in my case I opted to use the bluetooth connection with my iphone. My RV7 is very loud inside at high power settings and I thought this may be a problem when trying to talk on the phone. I set power at 24sq and made a call, my pal didnt even know I was in the plane, he thought I was in my truck! well, I was impressed. He was very loud in my headset, so I made a small adjustment with the phone volume setting, which is accessed through the top of the unit. Telephone volume is now very comfortable.
My good friend Tom Martin has a Garmin 240 audio panel in his plane. For curiosity sake, we pulled the 8000BT out of my plane and put it in his garmin240 tray( they are a direct replacement as pinouts are exactly the same. There was a huge difference in sound quality, the PMA8000BT is so much clearer ! and also, he always had issues with combinations of headsets that would or would not work with the garmin 240, once we had the 8000bt in place and tried all headset combinations.......no issues. I guess the Garmin 240 must be a little finicky that way. I am sure Tom will have a Garmin 240 for sale soon if anyone is looking.
SO, in a nutshell, I am very pleased with the PSA8000BT audio panel from PS Engineering and the superior sound quality on the radio's as well as the telephone. It is a great addition to my avionics suite.

ps....I traded my used intercom for a new spot connect. A good trade.

Last edited: