szicree

Well Known Member
I've decided I want to redo my plumbing with barbed fittings and tubing instead of the way-too-complicated nylo-seal or whatever it's called. Can somebody advise on exactly what type of tubing and fittings are most robust? And no, I don't want to go with the fancy safe-air stuff either. Thanks for helping.

I bought a roll of 25 feet of polyurethane tubing at Home Depot for a little under $5. I'm using it for my pitot and AOA lines. Add a little heat and you can form it into a slight bend for corners, etc. In the same isle at Home Depot, I picked up a couple packages of barbed fittings.

Pitot-static lines

I used silicone 'surgical' tubing (soft & tan - available at Home Depot) and nylon barbed fittings (single barb) from ACS to connect everything behind the panel. You have to wet the barbs in order to slide on the soft tubing, and roll it to get it off. It also slides over the 'hard' nylon tubing (when wetted) provided by Van's used for the run from the pitot tube & static ports to behind the panel.

I considered using surgical type tubing, but decided against it over concerns it would deform somewhat...but I guess now that I think about it, the actual pressures are so low that's probably not a problem. Have you had a formal pitot/static/altimeter check performed yet?

I used silicone 'surgical' tubing (soft & tan - available at Home Depot) and nylon barbed fittings (single barb) from ACS to connect everything behind the panel. You have to wet the barbs in order to slide on the soft tubing, and roll it to get it off. It also slides over the 'hard' nylon tubing (when wetted) provided by Van's used for the run from the pitot tube & static ports to behind the panel.

Are you sure that it is not rubber surgical tubing? If so, it will oxidize and deteriorate rather quickly ,ca. a couple of years. Silicone seems to have a very long life. I would check the tubing for cracking at annual inspection.

I did the same thing. Ripped out most of my overly complex, semi-rigid Nylo-seal plumbing that was behind the panel and replaced it with Tygon from US plastics.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=118&Page=1

I also bought a flexible tubing cutter (I got mine from Spruce < $15) that was money well spent. Nice clean quick cuts and it works well on neoprene hose too.

I used their #57220 beverage tubing. There was another thread on this topic which mentioned a couple of other suppliers.

It's silicone

Are you sure that it is not rubber surgical tubing? If so, it will oxidize and deteriorate rather quickly ,ca. a couple of years. Silicone seems to have a very long life. I would check the tubing for cracking at annual inspection.
The stuff I have is silicone. It was bought originally as a launching bungee for model sailplanes.
I haven't done my official pitot-static inspection yet, but I've checked for leaks and haven't found any.
I had started using the clear plastic vinyl or tygon (not sure which) tubing, but it was so stiff and hard to work with, and I don't think it seals as well.