Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Is anyone using auto plugs with standard aircraft sized threads with E-Mags or P-Mags? The little adapters needed for the recommended 14 mm plugs are a complication I'd prefer to avoid.

I don't see why the Autolite 386's that were the recommended "Auto" plug with the original Electroair systems wouldn't work, but then, what do I know...

+1

Kyle,
I am curious as well since I started with a Jeff Rose (ElectroAir) ignition running the 18mm Autolite 386s with great success. I am currently running the 14mm NGK BR8ES plugs with the EmagAir adaptors. Although they are not difficult, it would be nice to switch back to the 386s and ditch the adapters. Hopefully someone smarter than I am will chime in and say Yay or Nay!

Dan

not smarter but...

...there have been some threads on this before. IIRC one issue was thought to be picking the right plug heat range for the compression ratio for your engine. The standard recommended BR8ES plug in the auto thread size seems a successful one-size-fits-all compression ratios but some people were running into rough running engines when they went to the same heat range in the larger thread range. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the location of the electrodes in the combustion chamber, but I think a little more research would be good, with the consideration of your particular engine specs.

Maybe get two or three heat ranges in the 18mm and try them out and let us know what works and what your compression ratio is...