dhall_polo

Well Known Member
My engine was pickled from aerosport. The prop has been slowly turned a few times working on the spinner and fiddling with the canopy. Now I'm at a point of wanting to run plug harness and cht/egt wires. I'd like to at least temporarily install the plugs so I can be sure of how to run the wires nicely.

When I remove the plastic plugs from the lower cylinders, perservative oozes out.
Is it ok to just let this drain and then install plugs?
Worth it to catch the preservative and pour it back in somewhere else?
Better to wait till just before first engine start to fiddle with plugs and nearby wire runs?

I'm about done fwf, but I probably won't move to the airport for a few months.

Why let it all drain out?

Don, As you know moisture is the big problem. If you are building in a place where you do not get a lot of condensation then, even in Georgia, you should be OK if you loose some preservative. Personally I would probably not worry about the loss of some of the preservative oil but I would attempt to put the spark plugs in fast enough to minimize the loss of the oil. If it is "oozing" this should not be too hard. It sounds like you are close enough to completion to not worry about corrosion.

I would consider preservative oil that has oozed out of your engine as being contaminated and not put it back in your engine. That's just me.