szicree

Well Known Member
Can anybody point me to a source of photos showing plug wire routing, both left mag and LSE? Darned if this thing doesn't look just like an airplane, but is about a thousand little tasks away form ever flying :(

For the mag harness wiring, each lead has a label etched into the little nut at the plug end. T1, B2, T3, etc. That pretty much sets up where the wires need to go...if you only have one mag, ignore the "T" and "B" and just run 'em to the correct cyl. Connect the wires to your plugs and then install cushioned clamps in a couple of spots (typically on rocker box cover screws). I used the white rubber clamps that Champion makes (Sacramento Sky Ranch sells 'em), but I see a lot of builders using just plain old MS21919 adel clamps there. Anyway, if there's loose floppiness between there and the mag, I like to use "uni-wrap" silicone tape (available from Spruce or McMaster, etc.) to provide anti-chafe and cushioning for cable ties (or whatever method you choose) to keep things secure. Just prevent the wires from flopping around and chafing on stuff -- including each other. The insulation will wear. Pretty straightforward.

LSE wires...presumably if you have 1 mag and 1 LSE, your coils are on top of the engine case? If so, those wires are short and go straight to the spark plugs without passing GO (i.e. not through baffles or anything). Definitely secure those wires between the plugs and coils to make sure they're not flopping around and chafing. LSE shipped some clips with mine, maybe yours has 'em too? Anywhere the wires cross each other, I like using that uni-wrap silicone tape for anti-chafe.

A -7A driver friend of mine had one of his LSE spark plug wires come off the spark plug because it wasn't secured well enough. That's the last thing you want to have happen.

Last edited:
the white rubber clamps......

Dan - 'the white rubber clamps' look smart, but is there an advantage? Also, do yo uknow where to get the baffle penetrations for the ignition leads at a sensible price? Thanks, steve.

Dan - 'the white rubber clamps' look smart, but is there an advantage? Also, do yo uknow where to get the baffle penetrations for the ignition leads at a sensible price? Thanks, steve.

Yes, the advantage of those Champion wire clamps is that they are DESIGNED for multiple wires. Not just a "bundle" but wires alongside each other. Just seems a little cleaner and easier on the wires imho.

bulkhead penetration

Aircraft spruce sells the mag wire bulkhead pass thrus at a reasonable price. They are two piece affairs.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.