GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Honestly, I am a little reluctant to ask this because, for some reason, the responses to this kind of question tend to be fairly hostile and it wears a guy down. Very simple qustion (if you know the answer) though. Is there a plug-n-play LED alternative to these lights?
IMG_1630.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg

Thanks

Yes, there *are* LED replacements for those. Here's but one example.

For the landing light, your rectangular mounts are not too hard to retrofit to one of the many round PAR36 style LEDs. :)

--Ron

I agree with you. People on forums a very brave behind the keyboards.

I have replaced the nav lights on my 8. Aero-Lites have reasonable replacement LED. $45 each and that comes with a new clear lens and gasket.

For the strobes, there is not. I have been looking.

Fly-LEDs has a dual light that is a direct replacement for the DuckWorks landing light. If you have WigWag you will have to change from the mechanical flasher to a solid state switch. Each light is $100 and the switch is $80. Well worth it.

Hope this helps.

I recently replaced the rectangular halogen lights in our 6 with the Flyleds 7 LED Tail Dragger Max. I wrote up my experience doing so here :
https://vansairforce.net/threads/flyleds-tail-dragger-max-landing-light.216658/post-1770841

It sounds like the Tail Dragger Max is not what you’re looking for, but based on my experience with Flyleds I’d say the rectangular two LED and optional adapter would be as close to a plug n play solution as you’d get. This is the link to the Flyleds product page.
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Double-Spotlight/p/151025026/category=0

Flyleds don’t currently have a drop in replacement for the Whelen style nav light in the wingtip, but Aircraft Spruce etc. do have LED replacement globes for these. Replacing the original filament globe with the LED is plug and play.

I did ask Paul to consider producing replacements for the Whelen A600 / A650 etc. style nav lights too. So who knows, maybe we’ll get a better replacement option for those too

Don H
(Happy Flyleds customer)

Hi GrinchF16
I've replied to your email but will answer here as well.

Flyleds can help you out with a few different models of landing lights. Our Double Spots with an adapter plate (see the product page) will essentially drop straight in to replace your halogens. However it only takes four screws to remove the light bracket from the wing, and you can then easily enlarge the hole out at the bench to suit our larger lights like the Quad Spots or the Seven Stars lights. How much light did you want?!

If you're up for the challenge we have our The Essentials kit to replace your position and strobe lights. The kit doesn't fit the "plug and play" requirement, but there's more than 1000 folks out there who haven't found it too much of a challenge to fit the kit to your wingtips. Depending on what your existing wiring looks like we have a few solutions that should mean that you're not pulling any new wires.

Can confirm. I’ve also been looking. Would love to replace my Whelen strobes with simple white LEDs. I can only find these in the automotive world.
cbailey and Dugaru, you won't find an LED bulb to replace your strobe heads. There's a reason why I use six large 1000 lumen LEDs for the strobes in our kits. You just can't pack that much light into such a small package. (Well yes you could with the xenon strobe, but it's a different technology of course and required a large and heavy power supply to drive it.)

Please head on over to our website for some answers and solutions.

cbailey and Dugaru, you won't find an LED bulb to replace your strobe heads. There's a reason why I use six large 1000 lumen LEDs for the strobes in our kits. You just can't pack that much light into such a small package. (Well yes you could with the xenon strobe, but it's a different technology of course and required a large and heavy power supply to drive it.)
Thanks so much for this info! I think my problem is that my setup is a bit of a unicorn. I’ve got (old) LED nav lights that I’m fine with, and just want to replace my whelen strobes (which tend to melt my wingtip lenses over time…). An additional constraint is that nobody wants me fabricating anything electrical. 🤣

BTW your wigwag LED flashing circuit board is a great product, I’ve gotten a TON of use out of that.

IMG_4710.jpeg

+ 1 for the FlyLeds. I have been flying with their position and strobes for years and would not have anything else.
You'll always get superior support from Paul as well. I don't have their landing lights because when I bought the
FlyLed nav/strobe kits, they didn't have those yet.