greghale

I know that auto tinting film will not adhere properly to plexiglass, but I heard there was someone in Florida that has a system for properly installing tint film to plexiglass windows. Has anyone heard of or no a way of doing this?

Greg...

Tinting

greghale said:
I know that auto tinting film will not adhere properly to plexiglass, but I heard there was someone in Florida that has a system for properly installing tint film to plexiglass windows. Has anyone heard of or no a way of doing this?

Greg...

Greg, if you find out let me know as I'm interested. I posted a couple of weeks ago the same question and I didn't have much luck. Thanks AJ

RV canopys and windows are tinted

Just in case people are not aware...

Standard RV Canopys and windows are tinted.
Just not as dark as some people want.

Spray on tint

Jeffreymd said:
yes....if you find out, please let us all know. it gets hot in this plane. jeff
About 20 years ago I used a can of spray on tint but since then have not seen any. It wasn't worth a ****. Scrathed easily and peeled off. You'd think someone out there would make a product like this that has good optics and doesn't peel off. I'm still looking btw. AJ

Yep, plexiglass is tintable, but.....

greghale said:

Greg...
Well dudes and gals,....I am in business (airline industry scares me to put all my eggs in one basket) for myself and pretty much do and fix anything. This includes among MANY things, auto and car window tinting. Specifically hurricane/security films. In my apprenticeship learning the film business, I found out from my supplier that there is an intermediate, thin film, that acts as a bonding layer to allow normal film to adhere to plexiglass. Now, before we all get too excited, one needs to be aware that these films are 2-dimensional and plane windows are 3-D. For instance, the back window on the older Camaro windows are a nightmare to install due to the excessive curvature.
If one is able to get 2 or 4 mil window film to "conform" to whatever plexiglass one desires, one can get great results by first applying this intermediate film and then any (preferably thin) tinted auto/home window film.
As far as price, my rep. indicated it is fairly expensive, I am guessing maybe 5 bucks a sq. ft. Any width up to I believe 6 ft. is available. IMHO, if one desires to put a "shade" for example at the tops of the window/canopy, one can put, I think a several inch wide strip at the top, or possibly "piece in" strips...... say at the top of your canopy.
I will sometime before summer be replacing the skylight in my Kitfox with the above mentioned and I assume it will go pretty well.
PM me if anybody wants me to supply the film through my supplier.
PS, I am in Fl., but am sure other states have the film as supplied by my supplier.
Glen

More Tinting Available From Van's

I approached Van's about this a bit ago and they indicated that I could have a choice of more tinting at the time I ordered the canopy. Of course there is a price for this and I don't remember exactly what it was. Apparently the process is to work directly with Van's canopy manufacturer.

window tint

I am very interested in tinting my RV6A slider. Could you provide me with all the information. Name of products and contact info.

Thanks
Bob Wieczorek
RV6A wireing harness( Allmost done)