RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I know there has been a lot of discussion on various techniques and tools for cutting plexi. On my first 7, I cut the canopy with a combination of a die grinder and cutting wheel and a Dremel rotary tool. The die grinder was used for trimming the canopy down and the Dremel for the "Big Cut."

I was preparing to cut the canopy for the new 7 and was talking with RV8 builder Ron Moring. He recommended the Dremel Saw Max. It is similar to a die grinder but much lighter. Also it is like a circular saw in the way the blade functions.

You can get the basic unit for $99 at Lowe's, Amazon etc... You can get the full kit for $129 that includes a case. I went for the basic set up.

I made couple of preliminary cuts to test it out. The Saw Max cuts with ease with not as much snow as other methods. There is a nice notch to show the blade location during the cut.

After confirming measurements, I made the first pass "cut down" cuts. The Dremel Saw Max is amazing. The thin blade cuts like butter. It is very easy to control making the cuts very accurate. Within an hour I had the canopy cut to final size including the Big Cut.

In the scheme of the build, this was the best $99 spent. I highly recommend this tool for making your canopy cuts. You won't be disappointed. It makes the canopy cutting a non event!!

My air-driven cutoff wheel had my compressor gasping so I went with a electric grinder. Any 90 degree cutoff/grinder does great (I used a Dewalt) with an 1/8 wide blade made to cut metal. It went through the canopy like a hot knife through butter. I got guidance from a pro builder who has cut many, many canopies. I used a non tradional method and cut mine off the airplane. I made a cut up both sides then slid the canopy back onto the bench to support it for the rest of the cut. I am not using the front windscreen. I'm mounting a "Flat wrap" windscreen I purchased separately. Your milage may vary.

Last edited: