Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I bought a used RV-8 and am trying to identify every piece of hardware and relacement bulbs, fuses etc. to improve the POH and to make maintenance easier. Here is a picture of the right wingtip showing the landing/position/strobe. Can someone tell me whose unit this is and what type of light (HID probably) the landing/taxi light is?

Also, there is just a white position light at the base of the rudder. With this type of wingtip doesn't there also have to be a strobe back there since the stobe coverage does not extend to the tail? Some of the information on Van's website describes a combination position light and strobe on the rudder. Maybe that is what I have. I'll check that tonight. I did see a strobe power supply mounted in the tail underneath the empenage fairings.

ccc64275d6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

light

Your landing/taxi light resembles an aftermarket automotive halogen light available at auto stores (autozone). Is the light beam yellowish? HID lights have a bright white/almost blue hue.

...and are you sure the tail light isn't a combination position / strobe unit?

I checked it out today - you are right. The tail light is a combination white position light and strobe.

Bumped up - still need an identification of this tip

Is this the standard Vans RV-8 wingtip with lights? I'm trying to figure out who made it so I can determine what lighting system is in it so I can get replacement bulbs when I need to.

W-415 Wingtip with Airtech Wingtip Lens Kit

After reading a lot of posts I think I have this figured out. What I have on my 2001 RV-8 is the old style wing tips W-415 with the Airtech Wingtip Lens Kit in them. The Vans Part number of the lense kit is LN AT TIP LITE.

The only remaining question is what is the make and model of the strobe, position and landing/taxi light, and what are the replacement bulb numbers. I may have to take the wingtip off to find out.