AX-O

Well Known Member
I received the instructions from Sam James regarding the installation of their fiberglass plenum. I have a few questions. The plenum will be installed on an RV4 with an O320 B2B and Sam James cowel. What does the following mean?

1) ?Make sure and hold the outlet air beneath the engine to 2 ? inches on the head and 1 inch on the cylinder barrel?

2) ?on the RV4 you must cut the spacer flange from the spark plug wire nut flange?

3)?Use a 37 BY spark plug on the top cylinders. This plug is 1/2 inch shorter than others. Cut the Ferrell from the nut that the spark plug wire passes through?.

Any pictures or guidance would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if...

3)?Use a 37 BY spark plug on the top cylinders. This plug is 1/2 inch shorter than others. .....

....it's the model number that makes it shorter...

But - the Unison Autolite plugs are a 1/2 shorter than the Champion ones with the same number.

It makes installation a little easier if you cut down your deep socket...:)

1) ?Make sure and hold the outlet air beneath the engine to 2 ? inches on the head and 1 inch on the cylinder barrel?

The directions are a little confusing. If you look at the pictures in his instructions you will see one picture that shows what he means. It is the distance between the baffling you are making and the bottom center baffling between the cylinders that is purchased from Lycoming.

Still don't know what this means, anyone?

- cut the spacer flange from the spark plug wire nut flange

- Cut the Ferrell from the nut that the spark plug wire passes through

(But - the Unison Autolite plugs are a 1/2 shorter than the Champion ones with the same number.)

The above statement is in error. I ordered 4 Unison Autolite UREM40E plugs to replace the Champion REM40E thinking they would be shorter, but they are the same length. I have returned them and am trying the UREM36BY as recommended by Sam James to see if they are shorter.