cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
So I've been working on my canopy structure since last July. Yes, that means that I hated it so much that it took me over a full year to gut it out. Tonight, I was out putting some finishing touches on it. I had bonded the entire thing minus the bottom row of rivets on the skirts which I riveted to the frame. The "dog ears" that the skirts join up to on the forward end needed to be attached to the plexi/frame so I decided that one rivet through those would snug them up. I decided to squeeze a 3-8 rivet in there and you guessed it....POP. I have about a half inch crack in the canopy just above the skirt. PLEASE tell me I can stop drill this and fiberglass over it. If I can simply keep the crack from spreading i'll be alright. If I have to start over on the canopy I honestly don't think I'll finish this thing. I'm gutted.

Weld-On 4

There is a product called Weld-on #4 that will repair the crack. You have my sympathy. I cracked mine, too. I could not stand the looks of it so just replaced it, but mine was cracked on the side about half way back. The Weld-On is VERY thin and flows easily. Stop drill it and use the syringe included in the package to flow it into the crack. If it is low enough maybe you could, as you said, just glass over it.
Good luck, and hang in there. :)

There is a product called Weld-on #4 that will repair the crack. You have my sympathy. I cracked mine, too. I could not stand the looks of it so just replaced it, but mine was cracked on the side about half way back. The Weld-On is VERY thin and flows easily. Stop drill it and use the syringe included in the package to flow it into the crack. If it is low enough maybe you could, as you said, just glass over it.
Good luck, and hang in there. :)

Yep, this is what I did. Stop drilled it and got some of the plastic repair stuff (might have been called Weld-on, can't remember, this was in 2002). it is runny like water, so you'll need a syringe or something to apply it.

Been flying since 2004 and no problems.

I've got some weldon #4 on the way. Also some #16 that I'm hoping will work to plug the stop hole I will drill. any advice on what size hole to drill for this? I'm thinking a 1/8 plexi bit or a 3/32.

Small

I've got some weldon #4 on the way. Also some #16 that I'm hoping will work to plug the stop hole I will drill. any advice on what size hole to drill for this? I'm thinking a 1/8 plexi bit or a 3/32.

I would keep the hole small and stick with the 3/32. Warm up the Plexiglas nicely first and drill slowly. You will be surprised how thin the Weld-On is so just be careful not to let it run where you don't want it to. Good luck and let us know how it goes.