RV4er

Well Known Member
When I bought my RV-4 this starter was installed. Can anyone give me any info on it? I assume it is some sort of auto conversion. Throw it out? Keep it?

Thanks,

dsc00251uz5.jpg

That starter looks like a starter for a Toyota 22R motor with some type of home fabricated bracket. The 22R was a 4 cylinder motor used in the 80's and 90s. I know the motor was in the Corona (before the Corolla) pick up and 4 runner, probably others. I disassembled those starters countless times after weekends of playing in the mud in my 4x4 Toyota trucks. Water would get in them and the contacts would stick. I grew up and learned to fly, much cleaner. Much more fun. Much harder on the wallet! :)

I second the idea about Sky-Tec. Trash that thing and go talk to Les Staples, the owner. I put one of his lightweight starters on my Grumman. Great guy and he'll have what you need.

Southern California

Did your RV-4 come from S. California?

I remember someone bringing a similar arrangement to a Van Nuys EAA meeting around 10 years ago to see if any home builders would be interested...

At that time the lightweight commercial ones were relatively more expensive than they are now....

gil in Tucson

Not that I am aware of

Gil,

My RV was certificated in 00 by a fellow in Ohio. However, who knows were it was started.

Probably Nippondenso

I believe your starter was made by Nippondenso. Slight variations are used on many foreign cars (Toyota and Subaru come to mind). If you look at a Summit Racing or Jeg's catalog, you will find the same basic starter adapted for automotive high performance applications. I adapted one from a Subaru to VW engine in my Dragonfly last year and I love it. It it has been working well for you, why change it.
Gary

The SkyTec starters use a Nippondenso motor. I know because I just had an automotive place repair mine.

It looks a lot like my starter...

Sorta looks like a Mark Landoll starter to me.

MARK LANDOLL 405-392-3847, STARTERS, MASS/DAMPING RINGS, ALTERNATORS.

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV4 N455J
49 Cessna C140A N9641A