Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Looking for a recommendation for PLBs. I want something that can attach to the harnesses, basic capability, nothing fancy, don't need real-time tracking or any of that. Just...activate it in an emergency. That's all.

I have been carrying a McMurdo Fast Find for a couple of years. Smaller than the one listed above, and tested to work one handed in case of injury (the other unit might have been also, just don't know). Very happy with it's size/weight and ability to test it's battery. Everyone seems to be selling them now (including Amazon http://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-FastF...KWZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326847230&sr=8-1 ) for $299. Hope this helps. Glenn

Note added, REI has them for $249

Last edited:
Inreach, replacement for SPOT?

I went out to buy a PLB yesterday, leaning toward the ACR Resqlink unit due to it's popularity, size etc. As I did my research ahead of time I kept looking at the Inreach satellite communicator. It is attractive in that it allows two way communication via the satellite system. This includes texting via blue tooth connection to an Ipad, Iphone or other devices.

It has the same tracking capabilities as Spot, is much easier to operate than my older Spot unit, and for $10.00 per month I can send 10 texts of 160 characters each month. My yearly costs will go down by $50.00 over what Spot cost me, and I gain the capability to actually have two way communication with the folks that I need help from. It could also be very nice for sending some non emergency texts each month to update the wife on progress etc, this can be done anywhere there is satellite coverage, no cell signal required, the cell phone or Ipad is basically used as a keyboard for the texting, I think...

As it turned out, my SPOT account was just about to charge me for another year so I went ahead and canceled. To top it off, the Bass Pro Shop had a rebate going on the unit so I got mine for $250 - the $75.00 rebate for a total of $175.00.

I did a search on Inreach here and nothing came up so I decided to post this to solicit information on the unit and share what little I know of it. Is it just that new that I am one of the first to try it out?

It is a little bulky but does fit in the pocket of my survival vest.

I would like to hear any pros or cons others may have experienced with the Inreach. So far it all sounds good to me with the exception of the subscription required, but even that is less than Spot if I limit my texting to 10 per month. They have data plans for more texting at higher prices of course.

Should I return it and just get the ACR ResQlink as originally planned?

Randall Crothers
RV7A

NO! - please use it and post the pireps! :)

Randall, I think it's your duty to keep it and tell us all about how it works!

I too see them for sale at London Drugs etc. and wondered about them.
the reason I steered away was that I didn't have a smart phone at the time...and was a bit scared that monthly charges would kill me, even when I didn't fly all winter!
Turns out I now have a smart phone or 2, and need the pros & cons!

someone pointed out that one con is that you are relying on keeping 2 gadgets charged up, dry and warm in order to use the 'system'.
SPOT is a little dumber, just press the button, so a passenger could be instructed more easily.

From what I have read so far, the Inreach does just fine as a stand alone unit, better then Spot in my opinion. One bit of a down side is that you do have to read the directions and kind of memorize what all the different blinking LEDs mean. I think the user interface will be considerably easier when paired to the smart phone. it seems a little complicated to me at the moment, but in all honesty, I have not even put the batteries in the thing yet...

Even as a stand alone unit it has the ability to send out an SOS, then receive confirmation that the SOS has been received, followed by confirmation that you received the confirmation...

Randall

I'm using the McMurdo Fast Find. I have it velcrod to the center section forward of the fuel values on my 7.
It's also very portable as we bring it with us when we go hiking the trails.

BTW, leading up to SNF, you can usually find it for around $245-250.

Last edited:
So, I just noticed that I've been flying long enough with our PLB (ACR) that it has an "expiration date" presumably on the non-replaceable battery... Opinions? I'll be flying very soon with someone that has the call sign of "Shark Bait" over a large expanse of ocean...!

So, I just noticed that I've been flying long enough with our PLB (ACR) that it has an "expiration date"...

My first PLB battery expired some time ago. On that one it is not that the battery was not replaceable, it was that it needed to be done at an approved station. Doing it legally that way was going to cost more than getting a new unit. I got a new unit and passed the old one on to a friend who is the local search and rescue guy. He is also really smart on all things electronic. The idea was that he would use it for demonstration purposes but he has checked the battery and it is fine and is not hard to replace when it goes south.

It appears that the main issue is the environmental testing associated with battery replacement. They want to be sure it is still water resistant and such.

I learned a little more about the Inreach so sharing here.

The lowest cost data plan is about $10.00 per month. I figured that is less than what I was paying for Spot with more capabilities so good to go.

Then I learn that the low cost "safety plan" charges an additional .$25 for each bread crumb dropped in tracking mode. At first I had decided that was a deal killer, but after doing a little math decided I may be able to live with that.

On a 3.5 hour flight, dropping a crumb every 10 minutes, which is controllable to longer intervals if desired, the cost is an extra $5.25 for the tracking. It is easy to turn on and off.

Another interesting feature is that even with tracking turned off, someone back home can send a request for the unit to drop a crumb and it will do so. Perhaps this is another less expensive method of using the tracking feature, for me, an extra $5.00 for the insurance is something I can live with, I think...

Randall

Anyone using the Delorme inReach?

There has been discussion but I haven't seen any user reports here.

It appears that this unit has a much much better self-contained user interface than any of the Spot units. Two way texting from anywhere is very appealing. With phone pairing there are even more features.

I have always felt limited by the Spot in that I can never remember how to use it except for calling for help in a real emergency.

I am tempted to try this bad boy.

edit:

The unit I was looking at is the inReach SE which doesn't seem to be available yet. It does look interesting.

Last edited:
There has been discussion but I haven't seen any user reports here.

It appears that this unit has a much much better self-contained user interface than any of the Spot units. Two way texting from anywhere is very appealing. With phone pairing there are even more features.

I have always felt limited by the Spot in that I can never remember how to use it except for calling for help in a real emergency.

I am tempted to try this bad boy.

edit:

The unit I was looking at is the inReach SE which doesn't seem to be available yet. It does look interesting.

Any updates Larry?

Any updates Larry?

I didn't order it. The gadget aspect appealed to me but I had to reconsider based on what I would actually be likely to use. I'm staying with my old original Spot for hiking and a PLB and new generation ELT for the airplane.