n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I guess the units are too new. I did a lot of searching here and on the whole internet and could find very few references to battery replacement costs.

The references I did find, on models different than my own, showed a cost of around $300 dollars. They do a lot of testing and overhaul.

I am contemplating selling my ACR AeroFix 406 which has a current selling price of around $450, to upgrade to a newer, smaller, model. With two years left until a $300 battery replacement, that wouldn't allow me to ask much for the unit.

It also occurs to me that people haven't been including battery cost when comparing the SPOT to PLBs.

Anyone know anything?

Last edited:
I am contemplating selling my ACR AeroFix 406 which has a current selling price of around $450, to upgrade to a newer, smaller, model. With two years left until a $300 battery replacement, that wouldn't allow me to ask much for the unit.

Hi Larry,

If we could identify the lithium batteries I suspect that battery replacement would not cost much to do-it-yourself. The factory replacement includes pressure (probably vacuum) testing. Since the batteries are user replaceable it certainly would be possible to open it up and try to see if the batteries can be ID'd.
We do a leak test by putting the item in a clear vessel in water and pulling a vacuum on the vessel. If you get bubbles out of the test item you can assume that it might leak at depth. Since these are more water resistant then water proof it probably won't be difficult to reassemble and get sealed up.
DaveB
RV6

...Since the batteries are user replaceable it certainly would be possible to open it up and try to see if the batteries can be ID'd.
We do a leak test by putting the item in a clear vessel in water and pulling a vacuum on the vessel...
Maybe it's not as big a deal as I was thinking. On the back of the unit it says the batteries are LiMNO2 (maybe that just means Lithium Ion) and the manual has a part number (1099.2). The manual says the batteries are field replaceable but the unit should then be checked at a battery replacement center. It also says the warranty will be voided but then the warranty will be up anyway by battery replacement time.

I thought there would probably be a battery seal error or something if you did it yourself.

Okay, I just talked myself into opening mine. Four large phillips head screws, one with the slots plugged with plastic. The batteries are two packs of four Sanyo CR123As. Each pack has three batteries side by side with another one oriented at right angles along the edges of the other three. Each pack is shrink wrapped in plastic with two wires coming out that terminate in a two conductor snap connector that attaches to the PLB. Other than the expiration date the only number on the pack is A3-06-02326.

Now I wonder if these packs are an off-the-shelf item or what they cost through official channels.

They are not all $300...

The references I did find, on models different than my own, showed a cost of around $300 dollars.
With two years left until a $300 battery replacement, that wouldn't allow me to ask much for the unit.

It also occurs to me that people haven't been including battery cost when comparing the SPOT to PLBs.

Anyone know anything?

Larry,

I'm surprised at a $300 battery replacement cost on a $550 unit...:eek:

My McMurdo FastFind has a 5 year battery life and a $140 battery cost (but the new unit came with a certificate for the first battery). This give a $28 per year battery cost.... about the same as my old ELT...:)

If the various units available vary in battery costs by this much, then your comment about comparisons including batteries is spot on...:)

I'd be interested to hear about other units...

gil A