BHunt

Well Known Member
What have people used to mess around with color scheme ideas? I know not everyone is spending $75/hr just to get some ideas flowing.

I just used the three views, scanned them into my Mac and used an image editor to iterate through designs. No way was I going to pay someone else to come up with a paint scheme. Super happy with how it turned out.

I photocopied a bunch of line drawings that were in the builder's manual then started drawing some ideas by hand. I made about 9 slightly different schemes and started narrowing it down from there. The final scheme was also modified. I think it turned out OK and it wasn't expensive. Maybe it looks like I got what I paid but I'm happy with it.

120s1vd.jpg

Bevan

I photocopied a bunch of line drawings that were in the builder's manual then started drawing some ideas by hand. I made about 9 slightly different schemes and started narrowing it down from there. The final scheme was also modified. I think it turned out OK and it wasn't expensive. Maybe it looks like I got what I paid but I'm happy with it.

120s1vd.jpg

Bevan

And you vinyl wrapped yourself, right? How did you cut out the design?

Knifeless tape. Easier than you might think. About 100 hrs to this without prior experience. But you have to keep the scheme to something within your (and the vinyl's) capabilities. BTW over 100hrs flight time and no significant trouble with the vinyl.

Bevan

It has to look nice, naturally, but I wanted something a little more personal, while at the same time keeping the weight as low as I could. I scanned the line drawing in the plans as a JPEG, opened it in MS Paint and toyed around with a few ideas.

I polished mine, and used vinyl stickers applied by a local signwriting business, taking inspiration from our loco's at work. Simple, light weight, cheap, and it stands out like dogs balls in the circuit, I'm told! :D

16016292169_418790b175_z.jpg

29461040006_da95bbe36d_z.jpg

It has to look nice, naturally, but I wanted something a little more personal, while at the same time keeping the weight as low as I could. I scanned the line drawing in the plans as a JPEG, opened it in MS Paint and toyed around with a few ideas.

I polished mine, and used vinyl stickers applied by a local signwriting business, taking inspiration from our loco's at work. Simple, light weight, cheap, and it stands out like dogs balls in the circuit, I'm told! :D

16016292169_418790b175_z.jpg

29461040006_da95bbe36d_z.jpg

LOVE IT!!!! The "other" aircraft will never be able to claim they never saw you. :)

Last edited:
What have people used to mess around with color scheme ideas? I know not everyone is spending $75/hr just to get some ideas flowing.

I used this handy little program for my RV-12. Not sure if he offers an RV-10, but if you contact him, he'll probably add one. He was happy to add wheel pants to the RV-12 model when I asked him. Very helpful guy.

http://www.airplanecolor.com/