Anna

Hello!

We are just building the left elevator on our RV-8. We?ve some questions on the metal sheet (E-615 PP) on which the electric trim assembly is fixed for moving the trim tab.
On this E-615PP should be fixed platenuts. But the instruction doesn?t tell what time the platenuts should be attached? The metal sheet should be riveted in the first steps to the left elevator skin. So when and how (dimple or countersink) should we attach the platenuts?

It would be great, if somebody could help us.

Best wishes from Bavaria
Anna

I just finished this on my -9 elevator and I don't think it is much different. I did some research on this site and I found the best answer was to use NAS1097 rivets, which are a reduced head rivet. I just used my deburr tool to make the small countersink it needs. If you dimple the skin you will have to modify the platenut to accept the dimple.

I'm sure you will get many answers and this is the method I thought worked the best for me. I also have seen it done this way on production airplanes.

Jay
RV-9A Empenagge started

Ok, I try to get some of those rivets. Good idea! Thanks for your help! :)

Best wishes,
Anna

I used normal rivets

I used normal rivets and just dimpled the platenuts also. You will need the small diameter female dimple die for the plate nuts. I then back riveted it to the skin just prior to final assembly.

I used normal rivets and just dimpled the platenuts also.....
The technique you describe will work, but to knowing eyes it is a dead giveaway of "amateur" built. You can be sure professional airframe shops routinely use NAS 1097 rivets to attach most (but not all) nutplates including McDonnell-Douglas where I once worked and in doing so, omit the kludgy dimpling operations on a stock nutplate altogether.

Since Van's has never described or encouraged the use of NAS 1097 rivets other than to promote the NAS 1097AD4 as an "oops" rivet, the lack of awareness is quite understandable.

We ordered some from LAS. It's more comfortable with the duty. Thanks for the Link! We don't know there?s another Aerospace company in Europe! :)

Best wishes
Anna