rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
OK so this is a newbie question but I wanted to ask before I wrecked something else. First of all I think I know the answer, but to error on the side of caution here goes... I've been working on my empennage and most recently installing the nutplates for the elevator access panel. I just primed the nutplates and I decided to place some screws in them during priming to prevent the threads from filling with primer.

Is the nutplate also supposed to act like a lock nut or something? I screwed the screw into the nutplate and it will not screw all the way through. I'm assumming it will if I apply more force but I stopped at this point deciding I wanted more info before proceeding. This is problably the most obvious thing to experienced builders, but I wasn't sure.

Is the nutplate also supposed to act like a lock nut or something?

Yes. Sometimes if the force is way too high, you can use just a tiny bit of lube (boelube works great) on the first screw into the nutplate. Don't run a tap through it, you'll defeat the locking friction.

I see you're close to Livermore. If you haven't already, check out EAA chapter 663 the first Thursday of every month at the terminal building at 7:30pm. Great folks, generous with their time and expertise and LOTS of experience. Having someone look over your work is a great thing.

For nut plates you can also use a tiny bit of anti sieze the first time a screw goes in, especially if you're using stainless steel screws. From then on you should be good.

Good for you for asking questions...as the saying goes: the only bad question is the one you didn't ask.

Send me a PM if you would like some eyes on your project. I would also recommend hooking up with any of the chapter's tech counselors.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 120hrs
Livermore EAA chapter 663