Rhino889

Well Known Member
I'm looking for something that would replace the platenut screws? Interior only... console, flap weldment cover, etc.

I really like these and was wondering if anyone had a source?

e5aed784.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

I use socket head capscrews (allen head), black phosphate coated.
They stick up a little, but the hex drive is better for driving in with a power screwdriver, and they never get stripped heads.
I use cheap DeWalt battery powered drills, originally the 9.6 volt, and now the Lithium Ion 12 volt which is smaller. You can unzip an airframe pretty fast for inspection, and set the slip clutch low enough to prevent damage upon re-assembly, then final tighten by hand.
The way the slip clutch rattles is good. It allows the philips bit to reset in the head of the screw, reducing the chance of stripping the head.

One thing to watch out for on phosphate coated hardware is that they get surface rust really easy. A better option is to buy stainless socket or button head cap screws and then dip them in a blackening agent (if black is what you are going for).

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm#stainless

I use socket head capscrews (allen head), black phosphate coated.
They stick up a little, but the hex drive is better for driving in with a power screwdriver, and they never get stripped heads.
I use cheap DeWalt battery powered drills, originally the 9.6 volt, and now the Lithium Ion 12 volt which is smaller. You can unzip an airframe pretty fast for inspection, and set the slip clutch low enough to prevent damage upon re-assembly, then final tighten by hand.
The way the slip clutch rattles is good. It allows the philips bit to reset in the head of the screw, reducing the chance of stripping the head.