Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
I am soooo tired of leaks in the plastic brake fittings between the firewall and master cyls. Tried a search but no joy so what's the best alternative to these? Is anyone making a kit with better quality components? I saw one post that mentioned SS lines but that was on the gear legs replacing alum.

Aviation dept of Home Depot

I am soooo tired of leaks in the plastic brake fittings between the firewall and master cyls. Tried a search but no joy so what's the best alternative to these? Is anyone making a kit with better quality components? I saw one post that mentioned SS lines but that was on the gear legs replacing alum.

You can use standard brass 1/4 inch compression fittings ala ice maker. Much better than the nylon tee that Vans keeps sending along.

SS braided lines are the way to go! Call Bonaco! They have a kit fully developed and they advertise here.. Search the archives, tons of info!

Call Bret at BONACO. There listed on the sides of the forums pages in company ads. Iam putting in a parking brake and i spoke with Bret and he helped me and i'll be ordering the lines from him. Like one of the guys said Bonaco has a kit for BOUT $180 IN ss for the 9 & 7. Ron in Oregon. Tell Bret I sent you!

Last edited:
You could consider using Nylaflow tube (not Nylo-Seal) with the appropriate brass Poly-Flow fittings ( both available from ACS).
Nylaflow (3/16") was standard for the brake lines from the Master cylinders to the brake calipers on the Vari-Eze and LongEze and generally gave very good service. Over 26 years I never had any leaks in the Nylaflow brake lines or fittings on my VariEze. Rutan's recommended procedure was to install a short length of 1/8" OD brass tube into the end of the Nylaflow where it fits into the brass fitting to give something more solid for the brass sleeve to tighten against.

Fin
9A
Vari-Eze

Last edited:
brake lines

Braided teflon is the best solution. A friend installed some on his RV-6, with great results. Kits are great as long as the lengths are correct. The great thing about you building YOUR plane, is that your accessories and bulkhead fittings might not be exactly where the next builder put his. Test fit them first. Properly secure them, and they will last the lifetime of the plane.
Tom

no pressure

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the plastic line from the brake cylinder to the reservoir on the firewall (no pressure in these lines).

A standard hose is fine but way overkill and heavy. I also like to be able to see the fluid in the plastic line. Lets you know if you're low or if there is a small, slow leak.

These lines work fine, you just need to get rid of that plastic tee that Vans sends to go into the reservoir. A brass compression fitting is a simple solution.

"Clocking" the lines

One of my problems is getting the fittings clocked at the correct angle, those that screw into the master cyls... They need to go mainly "up" in order to keep the lines out of the way of my big feet, but won't go the complete 360 deg turn to do so without overtightening or worse, stripping threads. Maybe I need some kind of swivel fitting... ???

Thanks to all who have responded so far....

Use lube and work it like a tap

One of my problems is getting the fittings clocked at the correct angle, those that screw into the master cyls... They need to go mainly "up" in order to keep the lines out of the way of my big feet, but won't go the complete 360 deg turn to do so without overtightening or worse, stripping threads. Maybe I need some kind of swivel fitting... ???

Thanks to all who have responded so far....

I use EZturn fuel lube. Tighten, back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn, tighten, and continue the process. Each time you retighten the fitting will turn more. Eventually you can get them aligned.
If you have one that just wont go, remove it and try a different fitting. For some reason they are machined differently and one might work where another might not.

Brass Run Tee,... part number

This is the fitting you need to replace the nylon fitting supplied by Vans. Use the same brass tube inserts as supplied by Vans for the other brass fittings. It will not seal well without the tube inserts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#50915k413/=7cm6kp

For some reason, this one is difficult to find at regular hardware stores and I spent more gas than the postage from McMaster Carr looking.

Also FYI, lots of folks have trouble getting the brass fittings to seal because they force the compression farrel on the tubing which is really a little big if you use the .062 material supplied by Vans and also force in the brass tube insert.

A tip from the support department says to make it really easy and skip all the hot water etc. Just mic the brass insert tube and use a drill bit just a skosh smaller to ream out the tubing before inserting. Be sure to blow out the nylon chips and it goes in easy, the outside farrel will go on with NO trouble and it will seal well. (just my experience)

Hope this helps!

Bill S
7a almost there (July-Aug)

Brake Bleeder,....

While posting earlier about the brake lines, I remembered I had this picture of the brake bleeder set up that someone recommended on the list last month. I went to the local Tractor Supply house and bought this power sprayer for $4.95.

Took plastic 1/4 line and connected it to the bleeder screw (safety wired it on). pumped up a little pressure, locked the trigger open, got a beer, and watched it work for about 5 minutes.

That is a 1/8 pipe to 1/4 hose fitting screwed into the reservior and line to an overflow tank (water bottle)

It was one of those projects I kept putting off and it was dead simple.

Bill S
7a

Perspective on stock configuration

Ok, try to put this in better perspective since prior comments where deleted. There are hundreds of us, if not thousands, running the stock plastic lines with no issues, no leaks, no problems. Cheap and effective.

I think all posts should have a balanced perspective so people can make an educated decision on "upgrades" or changes away from stock kit components.
I see this issue on everything from oil coolers, to hose clamps, to alternators.

There may be another reason that your system is leaking, and if mine was a point of frustration, I would change it out too.
The simple fact is, the stock system works fine when properly installed for most people.

YEP, I agree completely

Ok, try to put this in better perspective since prior comments where deleted. There are hundreds of us, if not thousands, running the stock plastic lines with no issues, no leaks, no problems. Cheap and effective.

I think all posts should have a balanced perspective so people can make an educated decision on "upgrades" or changes away from stock kit components.
I see this issue on everything from oil coolers, to hose clamps, to alternators.

There may be another reason that your system is leaking, and if mine was a point of frustration, I would change it out too.
The simple fact is, the stock system works fine when properly installed for most people.
I've been flying with the original plastic lines for over 17 years, from the reservoir, through the master cylinders and on to the firewall.

My default is always an MS28741 style medium pressure hose (Aeroquip 303 or Stratoflex 111). Pretty easy to fab, and is the same as can be used FWF.

Hard lines are a bad idea.

The Teflon coated stainless assemblies are nice if you don't mind spending the money, but pretty unnecessary in this application, FWF they have many more advantages.

Where can I get the brass tube inserts for high pressure (thick) nylon tube?

This is the fitting you need to replace the nylon fitting supplied by Vans. Use the same brass tube inserts as supplied by Vans for the other brass fittings. It will not seal well without the tube inserts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#50915k413/=7cm6kp

I bought the above part from McMaster Carr and I didn't realize that it doesn't come with tube inserts. I only have 2 from Vans (single brake kit) and I need 2 more.

The inserts are for the 1/4" OD tube, but the tubing that Vans supplies is thicker than normal (icemaker) tubing. None of the local aviation supply houses (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards) have the correct insert.

Does anyone have a source, or even better have a pair of them to sell? I'd HATE to order 2 of those from somewhere and pay shipping on them.

Thanks,

Had the same problem

As mentioned earlier, everybody has different opinions and thought. The great thing about this whole build process is you chat with buddies and different people about different issues (who hopefully know something of what they are saying). Then you pick the one that sounds best and looks best to you. If you do your research, you'll find there are many solutions to different problems, and you can sleep at night knowing you've researched and are happy with your solution. Ok, enough of that.

I had the same problem, but it is solved now. This is just a supply line, so there is no pressure. I would not use a braided line because it is a) heavier (overkill, which normally I don't mind) b) much more expensive and c) can't tell the fluid level in there. The stock item obviously has an excellent record. I followed the plans on the 8 and used the clear tube inserts that came with the kit (older one), and I had one leak. They have been using brass fitting for a while now to solve that problem.

Since I did my whole static system with the Parker push on fittings http://www.parker.com/docs/Literature/Brass Products/3501-GC.pdf (and I had no leaks from the tester guy), I decided to use them for the supply brake lines (don't have the number but no problem with brake fluid because rated for that and it is semi-white/transparent like the Van's tube). I am not flying yet, but they have been installed for a month and I pump the brakes every-other day looking for a leak. I also used a Y with 1/8 NPT for the brake res and it is just perfect. Hope that helps. Dave

Thanks dp8 - I'm going to use the Vans tubes for the supply lines - I just need to find 2 of the unusual brass tube inserts that Van provides.... hoping someone in VAFland has a couple extras...

PM me if anyone does!

I have some

Dave. I ordered some to take the place of the plastic ones that came with the kit. Then I decided to go with Parker. PM or email me your address and I'll send them to you (two brass inserts and collars). Dave