yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Two 15' rolls of plastic brake line hose are provided. I opened one roll, made all the shorter lines, and had about 2' left over. Next page has me making two lines wach about 93.5" long-- 187' total. Sure enough, the second 15' roll had 15'-- 180 inches! Had to order anonthe roll from Van's and must wait for that to arrive.
Instructions SHOULD say to work from both rolls simaltaneously when making the shorter lines-- that would leave enough for the 93" lines!

Wayne 120241

Yep,

Has been the subject of previous posts months back. Others have done the same. Maybe Scott can get a note added to the plans as Mr. Murphy has struck again!! Would help future builders not have to cope with this one frustration.

HINT...

Anytime you are working from bulk anything, always make the longer pieces first. Or better yet, mark out ALL pieces on the material before cutting.
I know this may sound like nit-picking to some of you guys, but building an airplane is not like assembling a Wal-Mart bicycle. You need to think about things.

Instructions

In fairness to Vans...at the very beginning they emphasize the importance of reading through each "chapter" thoroughly so you completely understand the process before you begin. Makes you start saying, "wonder why they're doing that?" Or as Mel calls it, "thinking." I know it turned out to be the only way I could stop re-ordering parts.

Page 27-04

I was about to cut my brake lines, and recalled this post from way back. Saved me a work stoppage while I would have had to order another roll of tubing! Thanks guys. It would be nice if we could ad a tag of page 27-04 to this thread, it don't show up otherwise, maybe this will do it,

Any extra Brake Line for Sale? I need 8 ft.

Two 15' rolls of plastic brake line hose are provided. I opened one roll, made all the shorter lines, and had about 2' left over. Next page has me making two lines wach about 93.5" long-- 187' total. Sure enough, the second 15' roll had 15'-- 180 inches! Had to order anonthe roll from Van's and must wait for that to arrive.
Instructions SHOULD say to work from both rolls simaltaneously when making the shorter lines-- that would leave enough for the 93" lines!

Wayne 120241

Wish I'd read ahead in Section 27 and measured them all out like I did the piano hinge. Anybody got an 8ft or longer piece leftover I can buy? (just kills me to pay $8-10 shipping to order small items from Van's).
Thanks,
Dave

Wish I'd read ahead in Section 27 and measured them all out like I did the piano hinge. Anybody got an 8ft or longer piece leftover I can buy? (just kills me to pay $8-10 shipping to order small items from Van's).
Thanks,
Dave
Get it from Aircraft Spruce - it's an off the shelf item and Spruce is much better about shipping costs. Also, ignore the "may take six weeks" warning Van's put next to Priority Mail - I routinely get stuff delivered to Ohio in two or three days at half the cost of UPS or FedEx.

Shipping cost

Think you've got problems, Dave? Try messing up in Australia :(

Yipes, I can only imagine! (I'll quit complaining now. Well...mostly <gr>)
I know Rudi has the same challenges in South Africa.
We Yanks are a spoiled bunch.
Although...many of you have some much better beer in my experience!
All the best,
Dave

Postage

Yipes, I can only imagine! (I'll quit complaining now. Well...mostly <gr>)
I know Rudi has the same challenges in South Africa.
We Yanks are a spoiled bunch.
Although...many of you have some much better beer in my experience!
All the best,
Dave

Yep. Case in point. Just had to order some more alum fuel line (you can guess why) and a few other small items from Vans webstore, including a new fuel valve handle (the one with the red knob). Now, how could anyone possibly mess up a simple handle, you ask? It can be done!

Anyway, cost of order $75. Cost of UPS International postage $50 :eek:. OK, anything to do with aircraft is expensive, but that's a lot of good beer money wasted :(. Only consolation is that these are the first replacement parts that I've had to order in 400 hours of building (so far).