CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I have a small tungsten bucking bar and even though its super easy to handle in tight spaces, I still end up with nicks and light scratches to my surrounding skins in tight spaces from the edges of the bar.

I have seen some folks wrapping their bars in tape (not the bucking surface though) to alleviate this. I did it on my bar and it seemed to help a good bit, but the tape leaves a sticky goo when I need to reposition it to use the angled surface of the bar. Acetone removes it, but just adds a step.

I had an idea I wanted to kick around. What if I were to wrap some plastic wrap (seran wrap) around my bucking bar a few times and then dip it into plasti-dip a few times to build up a padded "handle" / cover that would expose the face only? The plastic wrap would keep the plasti-dip from sticking to the bar during curing, and would allow me to slip the plasti-dip off after its cured, and reposition it as needed.

Has anyone done something like this? Any experiences good or bad? If not, I may give it a go..

What I do

I work in the big plane overhaul industry where we do a ton of skin replacements,ect. We utilize a product that is much like 1/8" dense foam tape that comes in sheets and we can wrap the bars completely except the bucking surface. This way, they can be stripped and maintained, as well as other sides used if needed. For my small work at home, and RV type building, you can pretty well insulate the bar with a few layers of masking tape, and they will not scratch. As a general practice, I keep pieces of 2" thick packing foam handy to lay under what I'm riveting (I.E. in wing or fuselage)in the event the bar is dropped.

That wrap is a lot cheaper at Tractor Supply. Look in the equine supplies. It's used for wrapping horses' legs.

I used a piece of corrugated cardboard wrapped around the bar and secured along the edges with tape. That minimized the residue left on the bar and gave a nice cushion.

I have one or two bars with only one bucking surface and I might try plastidip on them. Seems interesting.

Hockey tape...

Relatively soft
Improves grip
Removes easily when you need to use the "other" surface...

Tape

I use Gorilla tape. No residue and it gets modified as needed by cutting a window on the face I neee to use.
I do Plastidip handles of my cleko pliers.

Blue Painter's Tape

I use the blue painter's tape. If I leave it on a long time, it does leave glue on the bar when I remove the tape. However, a quick wipe with acetone will clean up the bar easily.

one more

bicycle handlebar wrap.
some has adhesive, some is just 'stretchy' and can be repositioned. nice feel,
easy to colour code your 'bars'.
online from $3 ......to $33 for the name brand stuff!