Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I'm 20 hours into my Phase I and have been troubleshooting a mag-drop/rpm-drop issue for the last 8 hours. Here's my set-up:

(I)O320 with Airflow Performance FM-150
10:1 pistons
Right mag replaced with LSE Plasma III, crank angle sensor (top plugs)
Left mag Slick 4373 with massive plugs (I realize I should probably have a 4371 with 20 degrees lag, but for now I'd like to leave it as is)
Catto 3-blade

When I first ran up the engine shortly before my FAA inspection, the RPM drop with Plasma OFF was 150, and with mag OFF was almost nil (I wrote down 10 RPM on my test sheet).

RPM drops became progressively worse over the first 12 hours, and the morning I taxied out and saw a 200RPM drop on both Plasma and mag I taxied back to the hangar and grounded the aircraft until I could figure out what was going on.

My first action was to adjust the idle cutoff and idle mixture, as the engine had been idling too high. This, along with a) aggressive leaning during taxi, and b) leaning before mag/Plasma check brought the RPM drop to 150 (Plasma OFF) and 120 (mag OFF). I don't understand why adjusting idle mixture would affect mixture at 1800RPM, but it seemed to help.

I then went through the troubleshooting flowchart in the Plasma manual, as 120 is still too high a drop for Plasma. All connections, wires etc tested fine but the timing, as checked with a strobe light, was retarded 5 degrees: given a high compression engine at 8000' density altitude, idle timing (MAP disconnected) should be 16 degrees plus 1 degree per thousand feet density altitude, ie 24 degrees. MAP connected is 35 degrees degrees (density altitude apparently irrelevant in this case since max advance for engines timed for 20 degrees BTDC is limited to 35 degrees). So in short, the timing should nominally have been 24 and 35 degrees but was measured at 18 and 30.

We then rotated the crank sensor as far as the slots allowed, and this brought the firing up to spec (23/35). RPM drop is now 150 (Plasma OFF) and 50 (mag OFF). Nevertheless, the engine just doesn't feel as smooth as I believe it was during the first few hours, and I know from combing the archives here researching this problem that many with LSE Plasmas see no or negligible RPM drop mag OFF (although as noted above, I have a three-blade Catto, so less rotational mass compared to a metal prop).

I spoke with Klaus and he said to check fuel flow at idle, MAP at idle, and mag timing; if those were OK then the only thing left was to send the unit in, although he said CDI degradation drifts to advanced, not retarded, timing. I have done the first two and they seem normal (2-2.5 gph, 10.5-11.5 inHg). I have not checked mag timing since I need to give my helper a respite from my daily requests for assistance, and I wonder if there aren't other things I've overlooked that I could address first.

As a final note, the plugs all look relatively clean though a bit oily (engine seems to still be breaking in), the MAP lines and induction tubes have been thoroughly checked for leaks, and all wiring and connectors for the system have been inspected and appear fine.

So, I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Not clear on this

Thanks Tom-
I'm a little unclear on the procedure you're recommending: are you saying throttle up to 2000 with mixture full, then lean until there is an RPM drop, then enrichen again to 2000?
Let me know if I've got it wrong. I will try that when I go out tomorrow.
Thanks!
Eric

Might try cleaning the aircraft plugs with grit blast, after going after them with a dental pick. The tips where the spark occurs might look clean, but lead deposits down inside can cause mischief. Change the auto plugs (I'm assuming you have those on the LS side), as they are cheap. Sounds like you might have a marginal plug on the LS system.

Plugs checked

Alex-
Thanks for your suggestion to check the plugs. I had already pulled all plugs for a visual inspection and gapping, and a neighbor thought they looked good. I also tested resistance of the massives and they all passed. Another neighbor has a bomb tester, so maybe I'll put them on that to double check. Regarding the auto plugs on the Plasma, can you recommend a brand/type? I just used the Denso plugs that came with the kit.
Eric

depending on field elevation, full rich when starting on run-up procedure could be loading up with fuel. 1800 - 2000rpm is a good number. Leaning out prior to ignition cycle give it a chance to burn off excess fuel deposits on the plugs. Don't rush, bring original rpm back up to rpm target with mixture and leave there for you ignition cycle and see if rpm drop is less. I would increase fuel mixture for take off. This is just a test to see if your rpm drop changes.

Eric, I've been using NGK plugs for something around 700 hours. Can be purchased at auto stores or on-line for a buck or two. The plug is 3961, BR8ES with solid terminal. The part number (crazily) might not alone specify the solid terminal (meaning they aren't attached with threads). The box does indeed say solid terminal. The Denso's do indeed last longer, but I decided they weren't worth it as I am only flying 60 to 100 hours between annuals, during which I replace them anyway.

I've learned that visual inspection without magnification isn't a good indicator of not having deposits that can interfere.

Basically, if you are not leaned properly while doing the ignition checks, you will encounter larger drops. Lean properly and you will see lesser drops. I have the same issue with my dual P-MAGS and if I'm not leaned correctly will see 150+ rpm drop. When I have it leaned out properly I only see. 50-75 rpm drop.

I think G3i is suggesting running the RPMs to 1800...lean the mixture until you get the RPMs as high as possible. Your set up may allow you to get to 2000 but more likely you'll be in the 1900 range. That should have you properly leaned and you can do your "mag" checks then. I'm sure your drops will be more acceptable.

I'm no expert but this is just my experience on my -7A

(I)O320 with Airflow Performance FM-150
10:1 pistons
Right mag replaced with LSE Plasma III, crank angle sensor (top plugs)
Left mag Slick 4373 with massive plugs (I realize I should probably have a 4371 with 20 degrees lag, but for now I'd like to leave it as is)
Catto 3-blade
I have pretty much the same setup on my ECi IO-340.

What is your field elevation? After the engine fires up once started are you leaving the mixture full rich? When you do your run-up are you leaning any at all? With the exception of those who are firing up their engines at 0 MSL (Sea Level) you need to lean out the mixture some.

As G3i and others are saying, if you are not leaning out your engine during run-up you could be getting lead deposits or carbon build up on one or more plugs. Using the method he described on run-up you can burn off some of those deposits. Concerning those plugs, as Alex is saying, do not just look at the plugs and determine they are good. Get some dental picks at your local Harbor Freight and perhaps a sand blasting cleaning tool and see if you can remove any deposits or build up. Then try again. I know the electronic ignition plugs are standard auto plugs that are cheap so go down to the local auto store and buy 4 new ones and switch them out. That should tell you quickly if the electronic ignition plugs are good or not.

I know a lot of these type of issues are learning curves we all had to go through at some time but can be nerve racking non the less. It sounds like if this turns out to be just a fouled plug somewhere you will be good to go in no time. Good Luck and keep after it.

NV33 is at 4800 feet. I have to lean for runup at half that altitude.

However, this is surely anecdotal... but during the break in of my new engine during phase 1, I had to lean a lot and RIGHT NOW after starting. The need for this abated as oil consumption came under control. Now its down to casual leaning during taxi out and it is unusual to need anything extra to clean the plugs at runup.

during the break in of my new engine during phase 1, I had to lean a lot and RIGHT NOW after starting... it is unusual to need anything extra to clean the plugs at runup.

That was my experience also. During break-in I regularly had to clear fouled plugs until I started leaning aggressively. I define that as lean enough at idle it will not build RPMs for run-up. I also saw a little RPM drop on the LSEI at that time, but not any more.
The comment about lead deposits down in the massive plugs (where you can't see them ) is also spot-on. I used my HF dental picks to clear that problem up. Two plugs looked fine but had carbuncles down deep ... Once I cleaned them out they fired OK.

Yes, I'm leaning agressively

Guys-
Thanks for all the input.

Steve, I'm at 4848' and am used to leaning aggressively as soon as the engine starts as well as at ignition check.

Interesting information Bill. I think my engine is still breaking in, so perhaps I'm experiencing something similar with oil in the cylinders - I did have one bottom plug foul that way and had to clean it up. At that time I did as several posters suggested, used a dental pick to make sure ALL bottom plugs were nice and clean, and shot/wiped with brake cleaner to remove any oil residue. Perhaps I was not looking down deep enough into the plug though. Will redo them when I pull them out for the bomb tester.

The posts so far seem to be looking at the "slave" end of the system - plugs - whereas I have been looking at the "master" end (the Plasma unit, MAP sensors, etc.) I will focus my troubleshooting on plugs and report back. Nevertheless, I'm still troubled by the fact that the only way to get the timing correct was to advance the sensor pickup 5 degrees. That is outside the +/-2 degrees spec'd in the manual.

Right then, off to inspect these plugs. Will report back.
Eric

Last edited: