Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Yesterday I was looking for detail on the correct screws for installing the cover plates under the seats.

My plans book has gotten a bit out of control, to put it mildly.

Loose pages, torn out mounting holes, ETC----just the kind of stuff that happens when you use them a lot.

I finally had enough, spent a half hour or so putting it all back together, used a lot of the little stick on hole reinforcements. Got it all in order, and even listed each section/area covered inside the front cover.

I figure this half hour will save me many times over, searching for missing/misplaced pages, and just simple frustration in dealing with a mess of loose pages.

Kinda like cleaning the shop, and putting the tools away.

One thing I did which I think will be a big help, is to staple each section together, put the staples in line with the holes on the edge that the cover attaches to. This should be like putting a doubler on a piece of the plane that is under stress, and will keep the holes from tearing out. As a bonus, I can take out a section, and it will all stay together, and it is a lot easier to re-insert in the book when I am done.

Mike, I've downloaded the PDFs available on another site (to registered -10 builders) and find they are extremely handy. The paper book is far bulkier than my Alienware MX-11 (or the 11" eee PC I keep in the hangar) and can't be zoomed when the drawings are too fine. The entire set is under a third of a gigabyte, so it would fit on most memory sticks available today, so I am planning to have it on the -10's keyring when I go flying (I do the same with the -6A's BMA database and documents). Even if I forget to take my netbook, it's hard to go someplace where you can't lay your hands on a computer these days. Best of all, someone has indexed the fuselage sections and I'm hoping the same will happen for the rest of the plans set. The only caveat is that the PDFs are not official, though they are current (I even have Van's door latch mod on PDF).

If I weren't so lazy, I'd scan my -6A plans. The PDFs are really handy.

Last edited:
That was the very first thing I did with my 9A plans, scan them in. I printed a second copy and use that for my workshop set. The originals are printed back and front - my workshop set is printed front only - so with the book open on the workbench I have a blank page on the other side (back side of the previous page) for making notes as I go. I use that all the time.