Brantel

Well Known Member
For those that are local or frequent to the Charleston, S.C. area, which is the best GA/RV friendly airport in that area?

I am planning to take my wife there for her first "For the Wife" XC trip in the RV over Laborday weekend.

East Cooper is pretty nice and Charleston isn't bad either. East Cooper is now Mt Pleasant. KLRO.

My daughter and I flew into the international airport in C-town last year. It was OK but I would fly into one of the other airports next time - Mt. Pleasant or Executive. As long as rental cars are available, the drive to the touristy areas is not bad at all. If you land at the Int. arpt be sure to reserve your car so it is waiting at the FBO. Otherwise you will need to get a ride to the other side of the arpt to get to the rental cars. Kind of a hassle and time waster.

Mt Pleasant

I fly out of Mount Pleasant (KLRO) for business and pleasure quite often. The FBO will set up a rental car for you. No charge for tie-downs and it is convenient to the best beaches, hotels and attractions. Go see the Hunley Civil War Submarine exibit while you are there. Well worth the trip.

If flying into LRO (Mt Pleasant), be sure to watch out for the radio towers to the east...they are monsters.
JZI is too expensive for my blood. They cater more to the high-rollers going into Kiawah and Seabrook Islands.
Another great local airport is DYB (Summerville). There are five RV's based at DYB, so if you have any mechanical issues, someone will be around to help. The town of Summerville is gorgeous with her old houses. You will be 30 minutes away from downtown Charleston, but out of the traffic. You are not too far away from the plantations from DYB. If you want to drop some bucks on an experience, try to eat and/or stay at The Woodlands in Summerville. The Woodlands is a hidden Inn in Old Summerville and has maintained a Five Star rating for many years...truly a great dining experience.

I have flown into the international airport a couple times in the last six months

Tie down at the AF flying club. Cheap fuel, cheap tiedowns, close to downtown. Also very friendly and accomodating staff.

Highly recommended.

Fees are high at JZI!!

Go in there in corporate plane and it is outrageous. Mt. Pleasant is good and I know of at least one 6A that is based there. Great guy.

I take my wife to Charleston every year it's my favorite city! I fly into CHS it's easy and not too bad ( price wise)
Have Fun!!!!!
Oh and if you do go into CHS have the FBO get you a room at the Double Tree very nice hotel and right in the heart of downtown Charleston

Back in my Beech A36 days I used to fly into KCHS all of the time (my wife is from Charleston). It was Mercury Air Center then, and while a little pricey, service was always excellent. Rental car was always waiting for us and the airplane was always gassed up and ready to go when we were ready to travel back home. It's been at least 3 years since I've been there so things may have changed. It is super convenient to downtown.

Many trips to Charleston.

We had two sons graduate from The Citadel and spent many nights in and around Charleston. We have flown into the AFB often, but settled on East Cooper, sorry KLRO now. A couple of trips into Executive were not pleasant and we stayed away over the eight years when we frequently visited the area. We most enjoyed staying in the bed &breakfast homes downtown. The Citadel has a Friday afternoon parade, nice if you are into parades! Lots of places to dine, all variations of food and $'s. Make reservations! As Ron stated the old sub is an interesting display. Walk the Battery nice homes, try pricing a few!

Have fun,
David

I can believe it.

We looked, but did not have 7 digits in the checking account! Then or now! But I did build a RV!:D

David

What's up with airports in the Charleston, SC area? Gas prices are almost $2.00 above average, tie down fees, facility fees? Do they think they are New York City?

I've been invited to spend a few days on Kiawah Island and was shocked by how expensive the area is to fly into.

I called to talk to these folks and they said I had to be affiliated with the Government some way. Being a vet was not good enough...

Looks like Earl might be far enough North for us by Friday to still let this trip happen....Fingers crossed! I hope that it stays off shore but that does not look probable at this point!

Tie down at the AF flying club. Cheap fuel, cheap tiedowns, close to downtown. Also very friendly and accomodating staff.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I take my wife to Charleston every year it's my favorite city! I fly into CHS it's easy and not too bad ( price wise)
Have Fun!!!!!
Oh and if you do go into CHS have the FBO get you a room at the Double Tree very nice hotel and right in the heart of downtown Charleston

I will echo Kirk's recommendation. We utilized Odyssey Aviation at KCHS and they were just fine. Pricey on fuel, but everybody in that area is. They put us up in a hangar overnight. We took a cab to the Doubletree instead of renting a car. Parking is pretty expensive in downtown Charleston. Lots to see and do within walking distance of the Doubletree. Don't miss Hank's Seafood right across the street from the Doubletree. The Shrimp and Grits entree made my wife swoon.:D
We will be going back.

Last edited: