Ben in Hong Kong

I'm New Here
G'day everyone,

My name is Ben and I'm new to these forums.

I currently reside in Hong Kong and like many of you, have come to the conclusion that I want to build my own aircraft. I've spent time researching different makes and models and settled on an RV7 or RV8. The wife is almost 100% onboard for the project. I say almost but as she flies herself, she just needs to understand how this project is going to happen.

Building an aircraft here is going to be a huge logistical challenge. Space, certification requirements, environment, access to expertise and advice to name a few.

A quick question, but sure to be the first of many.

What is the approximate weight of the completed fuselage? (without empennage, canopy, avionics or engine)

Thanks!
Ben Grant

Hi Ben

There was someone else on here from HKG looking at getting an RV approved by the CAD (?) - might be worth a search?

See http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/weights.pdf - a QB Fuselage Kit is 880lbs. The actual fuselage itself I would guess at ~300lbs. Completed RV-8 is ~1100lbs, with ~300lbs engine, 50lbs prop, empennage not a lot, and wings about same as fus ? A wild guess!

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

snipped
What is the approximate weight of the completed fuselage? (without empennage, canopy, avionics or engine)
Thanks!
Ben Grant

Ben,
Do you want the weight of the fuselage with or without interior, canopy, landing gear, instruments, wiring, etc?
As mentioned by another lister, the 8 & 8A have an empty weight of 1100 to 1150 depending on engine, prop and equipment. By way of subtraction, each wing, sans paint, flaps, ailerons and wing tips is about 100 pounds each. The horizontal stab is 19 pounds, the vertical stab is 10 pounds. Engine is about 288 to 330 pounds.
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the figures.

I'm just trying to estimate rough weights to ascertain whether it's possible to move the fuselage from my planned workshop for transportation and shipping. My thought is to build as much as possible at the workshop and then ship the major components off for final assembly, which at this stage will be Philippines.

From the estimated weight it should work no problem.
I'm having to get creative with space and it's going to involve a footpath and some stairs.

The CAD (Hong Kong's FAA) doesn't have any scope for kit built or experimental aircraft but I'll go and have a talk with them as per what Andy mentioned earlier in the thread.

Now to figure out certification and registration issues as the plan is to be in Europe in 5 years.

Regards,
Ben

Ben

Hank Cheng (Cathay B777 FO) is building a -7 and is some way along. He has been talking to CAD so may have paved some of the way for you.

I am building a -10 in UK and am well along. I can't help with the certification process but will be happy to give you any practical advice.

G'day everyone,

My name is Ben and I'm new to these forums.

I currently reside in Hong Kong and like many of you, have come to the conclusion that I want to build my own aircraft. I've spent time researching different makes and models and settled on an RV7 or RV8. The wife is almost 100% onboard for the project. I say almost but as she flies herself, she just needs to understand how this project is going to happen.

Building an aircraft here is going to be a huge logistical challenge. Space, certification requirements, environment, access to expertise and advice to name a few.

A quick question, but sure to be the first of many.

Thanks!
Ben Grant

Hank might be able to help you
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60515

Wow the VAF is connected!

Thanks to the replies so far. I had no idea someone was building an aircraft here with the idea of flying it here. That's great, I'll touch base with Hank tomorrow and find out how he's doing.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
...Building an aircraft here is going to be a huge logistical challenge. Space, certification requirements, environment, access to expertise and advice to name a few....

Thanks!
Ben Grant

Ben,
Scratch "access to expertise and advice" off your list of challenges... You've already found VAF, not to mention Van's itself!

Hong Kong

Hi Ben

I researched basing an aeroplane in HK and found it quite difficult as the airfields I contacted said they had no space. Actually I eventually found a contact in Shenzen ( mainland China) who could gain me access to an airfield near there.

As you are probably aware things that are difficult in China are easy here and vice versa.

The first thing you need to do is decide the country of registration as I doubt the HK authorities would do it. Then ensure that they will allow you to fly in their airspace under that registration.

My wife is dual qualified as both English and Chinese lawyer and felt we would not be allowed to fly mainland China.

Do you know where you will be based in Europe.

If you go on Vans website you can get a weight of each subkit, they use it for shipping. That will give you an approximate idea of weight.

Hank checking in!

Hi Ben,

This is Hank! Glad someone is doing it in Hong Kong, I am finally not alone!

Replied your text message, call me anytime!

Hank

Ben

If you are planning to eventually base in Europe with the aircraft then it might be better to build it under the codes for the appropriate country. With family considerations, the amount of spare time you have and having to travel to your workshop, I doubt you will be finished in less than 5 years.

The only issue would be getting the aircraft stage inspected if required by the country's authorities.

Planning planning planning

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I'm purchasing a small flat only 30 seconds walk from the house we are building on Lantau Island in Hong Kong. It will be a small space but is on the ground floor with a tiled terrace. My weight estimation is to gauge how many mates it will to take to get the fuse out of the workshop.

My wife is from Sweden and the plan is to be living in Europe in 5 years and most likely Sweden. I've been in touch with the EAA in Sweden now and According to them nobody has built outside the country and then shipped it back for certification. They couldn't see a problem with it and promised to get back to me on what I need to do.

So far I have touched base with Hank and several other guys actually building on Lantau Island. One building a scratch built Sonerai and the other a Waiex. Also meeting a colleague, who has built an RV, for coffee on Monday.

There is definitely some good advice here! After spending years building the aircraft, it would be a tragedy if I couldn't certify it.

The construction manual and preview plans for RV7 arrived!

Ben

Last edited:
Welcome to Sweden later on then, or V?lkommen as we say here :D Hope everything goes according to plan and hope to see u and your RV here in Sweden in some years :D

/Dennis
(One of the most northern RVs?!)

Hi Ben,
Ben here. I get over to HKG on occaision as I fly the MD11 for UPS. I would be glad to look you up on my next trip and answer some RV7 questions over a beer in Lan Kwai Fong...

Tak

Hej Dennis,

I've been up as far as Jouksengi (spelling could be out), on the crossing of the Arctic circle and Finland/Swedish border. My wife has family up there.

Ben C, I'm always up for a beer and I'd appreciate the advice. Shoot me an email if you like [email protected], next time you're free in Hong Kong.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
My weight estimation is to gauge how many mates it will to take to get the fuse out of the workshop.

while building the fuselage, you will have it on a stand of some sort. You can always bolt some wheels onto the bottom of that stand and roll it out yourself. Or just complete it subtantially enough so its on its landing gear and wheel it out. I guess it all depends on the size of the door.

Jouksengi is about 1,5hrs drive from where i live! =)

Hope everything goes according to plan =)

/Dennis

My weight estimation is to gauge how many mates it will to take to get the fuse out of the workshop.

Ben, 2 of us were (just) able to pick up a QB 7 fuselage when it arrived - one on the firewall straining and one on the tail with a much easier job. Assuming you are lifting the fuselage without an engine or gear I would guess 4 people could lift the fus, but where would they lift - 2 on the engine mount, 1 on the tail - perhaps one each side on a lump of wood bolted to the wing bolt holes? So perhaps you should reckon on 5 moderately athletic people?

Wings can be done with 2 people, but leave the tips off for a better grip.

Pete