Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Planning ahead on your project can definitely save you money, especially if you frequent the VAF classifieds. What do the two things have to do with each other? Well, it pays to know what you are going to be looking for, and when you might need it! Our RV-3 project is a good example. A couple of years ago, Louise and I decided that a -3 project was in our future. We had a sort of vague idea of ?when? (mostly ?not now, unless we can?t pass it up?), but kept our options open. Sure enough, a complete RV-3B kit was advertised here on VAF, on the gulf coast, ready to haul away ? for a very good discount! Fortunately, we had the resources to jump on it, and saved several thousand dollars. We had a similar experience recently on the engine and prop ? we knew what we wanted, and in our daily look at the forums, we suddenly found ourselves with deals too good to pass up on both. Several more thousands saved! This works on small items as well, which is why I have a fairly detailed spreadsheet of items that I know we are going to need to finish up the plane. There is no complete FWF kit for the RV-3 per se?, but having built before, and knowing how these things go together, I know what we need to get to be ready for flight ? and believe me, the detailed list is long.

The other day, I went through the list and categorized it. Placing the items in ?time order? so that we know when in the flow we need to have stuff on the shelf. I have approximate prices down, and a running total to tell me how much more we have to spend. (Believe me, once you get the airframe, avionics, and power plant stuff through the old bank account, even the remaining big list looks reasonable?)Having this list, and a good idea of what things we want and don?t want, I can keep an eye out on the forums again. We picked up a brand new Oil Cooler this week for well below retail ? and the proceeds are going to an EAA chapter ? a bonus! It even works in reverse ? our kit came with a partial engine mount because the original buyer was planning on an alternative engine, so we had this stub sitting here in a box. Someone needed a mount for a repair job, and bingo ? we had income to fund some other stuff we needed!

I reckon? that the VAF classified will have saved us an easy 20% over retail once the plane is finished ? not a small consideration at all! It doesn?t take long reading the forums to realize that you can trust almost all of the folks here, and transactions are almost always extremely pleasant. I don?t know how we could do this without Doug?s site ? yet one more benefit of coming here often. Can you imagine building an RV without it (now that we are used to it)? VAF showed up in the last few months of my first build, and I can tell you ? this second one is going much faster in large part because of this community that Doug has brought together. Plan ahead, build a good list ? and visit VAF often. It?ll save you far more than you?ll probably ever donate.

Paul

+a lot!

I've already saved a lot on various tools....and picked up a number of other small bits an pieces I know I'll need over the next few years. Almost all here...on some listings that have sold in seconds. :) (And you get to meet great people in the process!)

The early bird catches the worm!

....and the reason that I, too, saved a bunch on our -6A. When you browse the forums at 6:00 ayem or earlier, your chances of beating someone to the punch increase exponentially:)

Good article, Paul,

Yes!!

I have to agree 1000% with Paul.

I bought many things here, and saved a bunch on each one.

Sold a few also, and never had a bad experience with the sale.

Best bargain of the entire process???

Saving apx $15,000 on buying a partially completed project.:D

But the best thing about VAF

Is the people..Some of the most supportive and nice peopl I have ever met..:)

Frank

Can't decide

I have been watching the classifieds and see that a lot of RV-7 stuff is for sale. I was planning on an RV-9 but now I don't know due to the availability of -7 stuff for sale. Could save some money on the -7 build. How do you decide which?

I have been watching the classifieds and see that a lot of RV-7 stuff is for sale. I was planning on an RV-9 but now I don't know due to the availability of -7 stuff for sale. Could save some money on the -7 build. How do you decide which?

Define the mission, then select the best plane for the job.

Mission

The main purpose of the plane would be to commute back and fourth to work on a weekly basis. But also to just enjoy flying the occasional cross country and of course the weekend get aways. you know for them expensive burgers