dbuds2

Well Known Member
:confused:I've started a spreadsheet of possible panel components (EFIS/EMS, radio, nav, transponder, intercom, GPS, etc.) versus features (cost, subscription costs, weight, maturity, etc.). It's kind-of overwhelming for my geeky, get the best for the least personality.

I'd like to share what I've started and maybe create a file that you can add other systems of components and the features important to you. Or, maybe another RV geek has already done this study.

My first put was to create a design with an EFIS/EMS, traffic warning, weather, auto pilot, map, stereo, pilot issolate, checlists, minimum investment and the least number of boxes/things.

What is the best/easiest way to share this excell file?

Bud, I sure wish you would get busy and figure out what "we" want on our panels. You being a real rocket scientist sort'a should take lead I think. I saw all the photos of the various glass boxs from OSK and am more confused then ever. I did buy the servos for the TrueTrak AP, but have not opened the box yet cause I had heard after ordering that several of the EFIS companys were going to offer their own AP along with sysn vision. What to do ? So get busy my friend and figure out what's best and coolest. Take care, Bill of Georgia

This is a REALLY tough way to choose components for your panel because it's very, very subjective and barely objective. It's hard to take what each EFIS mfgr tells you either at a show or in their marketing literature and mark it down as a check mark for a certain or given function. Let's say you have function "x", it may be only 20% complete from one mfgr, but 100% complete in another, but on paper both could be listed as having function "x". Just because an EFIS mfgr tells you they have (or are going to have) an autopilot doesn't mean the autopilot works well or functions well in comparison to a stand alone AP....some do and some don't.

Along with that problem is the other subjective things that really can't be put on paper. Some time ago someone tried to "score" and weight various things on a spreadsheet mixed with pricing to give some sort of rating, and to be quite honest it was almost entirely useless as a real tool. The fact is you can't easily just put a spreadsheet together because it's just not that clear. I've seen at least a half dozen such attempts over the past few years - none of them particularly useful in the end.

You also have to factor in what you're going to do with the plane, the mission of both the plane and pilot, experience of the pilots, comfort level with various technology, and couple that with each persons individual desires as it relates to what they feel is important.

Here's what I tell my customers. Figure out what you want to spend first (within at least a rough order of magnitude). Second, decide what you want to do with the plane. Lastly, decide what the best value verses requirements are for a unit.

Probably the most common question I get is "which EFIS should I buy" and the truth is that there is no single solution that fits everyone's requirements. Some are driven by budget, some by requirements, some by functionality, some by what their friends have, some by aesthetics, some by ergonomics, some by manufacturer, etc.. For example, some people might be more concerned about the potential future financial health of a small EFIS company as compared to someone like Garmin. Others like the way a screen looks and ignore anything relating to the company. Some people like the representatives from a company and base their decision as much on the people as they do the product. Others care more about the technical specifications of the sub-components in the products. Over the past several years a lot has changed. Blue Mountain is out of business, OP Technologies has had major issues, and we all know of the Chelton mess. All three companies at some point never appeared to even have a hiccup.

I'm pretty sure I could make a spreadsheet that would skew the decision or choice of a product to any number of manufacturer's benefit, but that wouldn't be a very good nor accurate representation of the real world when it comes to EFISes.

I wish I could easily tell you what is the best way to go, but it's just not that easy.

Anyway, I think a better use of your time might just be a few minutes on the phone with someone who can give you some good objective advice that isn't tied to a particular mfgr.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

EFIS selection, etc

Best advice I could offer, other than paying attention to what Stein says, is touch as many as you can IN AN AIRCRAFT. The booth isn't the same.

I was either steam or BMA until I started back to flying rentals - in this case FlightDesign CT's, Dynon equipped, and 172SP's, steam and G1000. Soooo, I've got a D180 in the panel, going with the Dynon AP/AP-74. When it flies next year, it will already be obsolete, but . . . it's so far ahead of 90% of the GA population, and I LIKE IT, so who's to second guess me?

Rick

Thanks Stein, love your no nonsense approach

Since I'm not really ready to buy these electronic marvels, the spread sheet was another way to over think future decisions (and it is cheap).

I'll continue to watch the development of all the "better than sliced bread" electronics, refine my mission, figure a way to increase my budgets, and call you for a final recommendations.

Source for cut outs?/acual size pics?

If somebody knows where I can access templates, print outs of actual size of some of the common panel equipement could you fire it off?

Dynon and MGL provided nice real size pics. I have been all over Garmins sites and cannot find the same for their sl30/40 or their gtx327, or the mgl v-10 etc. If anyone has found a good source for some of this please post. I just find actual size print outs really help with the thinking the layout through and making easy changes before i get it finallized.

thanks.

For Garmin, look at their press image download area, it has most if not all of them in high res......

Bud,

Most of us go through the spreadsheet phase and suffer the quandary of "oh my god there is soooo much to choose from" when it comes to the panel.

The advice above is excellent and comes from folks who know of what they speak.

The spread sheet is great for laying out in one place all that is available.

Start with a list of features you want for the flying you intend to do.

Those items on your spreadsheet that do not do what is required should then be removed.

Now cull the spread sheet of those items you cannot afford.

These two actions will cull the list down to a more manageable number.

Then read, look touch, research, (beg borrow or steal rides from those that have the items remaining in their aircraft). Search this forum and read every comment you can find about the remaining candidates.

When you get it narrowed down to just a few put aside some money and vacation time and go to OSH or SNF and visit every vendor of every remaining item on your list. Wait in line as long as it takes to lay hands on and play with each unit and come prepared with a list of questions and stay at the booth till they are all answered. This is the only way (as Stein mentioned ) to really compare the items against each other as opposed to just checking off a box. Also make sure that when you finalize your list that all the equipment will talk to each other .

A good example of what Stein mentions is XM weather. Many units offer XM weather. They do not all, however, display all of the weather products available. An example of a spread sheet box checked but not an apples to apples comparison.

You have a long time before a decision is necessary. Spend the time and money necessary to make the right decision for you. If you are not happy with your panel you will not be happy with your airplane.

With the demise of BMA I will soon have to repanel 2 of my planes and my sole mission at OSH this year was to narrow down the field of EFIS,s to replace my BMA equipment.

After spending several days playing with everything there and driving the reps crazy I have come to the conclusion that less features in any single uniit is better. I have narrowed my list to...

Trutrak EFIS AP4 with a Garmin 696 or
Garmin G3X PFD with a 696 as the second display

and in both instances using the Trutrak ADI as the back up ADI Adding the UMA small altimeter and ASI for backups.

I already have steam guages for engine instrumentation so they will stay.

Since I fly more than 1 airplane the 696 is important as I only want to pay for 1 moving map display and 1 set of subscriptions.

Let your needs and limitations be your guide and do not hurry the decision.

.pdf of templates

Rick,

I can E-mail you a .pdf containing actual size images of these if you like. I've waded through all this myself over time. Never found a good single source but they're pretty easy to make yourself on the computer using images copied out of softcopy user/installation manuals, etc.

If somebody knows where I can access templates, print outs of actual size of some of the common panel equipement could you fire it off?

Dynon and MGL provided nice real size pics. I have been all over Garmins sites and cannot find the same for their sl30/40 or their gtx327, or the mgl v-10 etc. If anyone has found a good source for some of this please post. I just find actual size print outs really help with the thinking the layout through and making easy changes before i get it finallized.

thanks.