KRviator

Well Known Member
I don't think I've seen this mentioned before, but I got bored today and googled my username to see what would come up. Flipping through the usual things, I find someone has registered on the Apple forums as yours truly, but then I stumbled on this website. It has a photo of my -9, knocked off from my build thread here on VAF, as well as a link back to it.

I'm not sure what to make of it, the concept seems to be a good idea, as it says, it is intended to be an encyclopaedia of home built planes, whereas here we just have RV's, KRNet has the KR1/2, etc. So it is a central place to search for just about anything.

What I am a little concerned about is the outright naming of the builders. In my case, since I haven't listed my name here on the thread, it names me as KRviator, but others have their details listed. No doubt, they've been harvested from information that was publicly available at one stage, but if you decide a bit of anonymity is a good idea and hide your details here, there is no guarantee this new site will do the same.

Food for thought, anyway.

I agree with your concerns for privacy. That's why I'm a Facebook Luddite. But unfortunately, there really is no privacy left, when it comes to personal info. Our entire lives have their complete images 'in the cloud', & the only way to minimize it (can't really be avoided) would be to do every transaction with cash and avoid any internet use at all.

BTW, that web site is kinda nice, to be able to pick another a/c type & wander through various builds.

Charlie

Interesting. I wonder how they populate their site. For example, they have a category for MyKitLog but they've only pulled over links for 291 builders but that's only about 10% of the projects uploaded into MyKitLog.

Not a privacy issue. It's a picture of an airplane. The registration is public, so if you can read the N-number...

I do get a bit peeved when I find photos of my work used to sell product or ideas. Ask first, please.

They don't seem to be using the content for any commercial purpose ... at this time, anyway. Creepy, but rather useless and harmless. And now they're on our radar.

Not a privacy issue. It's a picture of an airplane. The registration is public, so if you can read the N-number...

I do get a bit peeved when I find photos of my work used to sell product or ideas. Ask first, please.
Not all registration databases are public access. For example, my rego is 19-8519, but you can't search that to find my details. The "normal" VH- database is open-access however, but you can still register your RV in a company name and have this site identify you personally as the builder. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

I have had a look through their terms of service and I'll be damned if I can see how they harvested the relevant data, or under what authority they are using images published elsewhere as their own, without so much as attribution yet alone authority.

If they have advertising on their site, they are making money off your information . That is not right and probably not legal. Not much you could do about it other than contact the site owner and request they remove it.

Copyright?

I suppose that those with build pictures online could copyright the pictures with the disclaimer that pictures may not be used without prior written consent...

You are free to put effort into copyrighting the photos but it is pointless; they are already copyrighted by definition (if originating in the US; protected by US law). The referenced site is doing a search and pulling specific information into one location, maybe even storing the information. There is nothing new here beyond what Google and every other search engine has already been doing for two decades now. And Google, et. Al. make buckets of money for it! It is weird that there are no ads or any credits, but this is a big world with lots of folks doing things that don't make sense to the outside observer...Like building an airplane from a kit for example. ;)

A website is allowed to reuse whatever you put up in the public domain so long as that website properly cites where that came from. For instance, the website Pinterest has made its entire world by doing this.