N131RV

Well Known Member
I recently installed a Plane Power alternator.

Does anyone on this forum know what it started life out as?

I got the 60 Amp experimental one. Looks like a honda or nissan alternator.

If anyone knows, please post the info.

Thanks in advance.

Only pre-2000 Honda 4-cylinder alternators have the correct cooling fans for Lycoming usage (the older Honda's run backwards compared to almost all other automotive engines). The one model that seems to fit the best is an '87 Civic unit, and that's a 60A. Get the Denso version; those cars also came with Hitachi alternators. The Honda alternators also typically use a 4-wire regulator. You can use it that way, or get a Toyota 3-wire version.

So the PP units are Denso, have a Honda rotor, not sure which castings (but the '87 Civic is close enough), and most likely use a modified Toyota regulator. If you're cheap like me, you can mod the regulator and brush holder yourself like this story I wrote and 'Lectric Bob published. This way, the alternator cannot "run away" and you have complete control over it.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

Just looking for emergency spare

In the event my PP goes TU on a weekend away from home. The aviation department at Autozone might get me home if I can find one that will mount on the same bracket. :)

Why buy a Plane Power alternator?

Here's why. This is enough to sell me on a Plane Power alternator. Also, I verified the problems with automotive alternator brushes at altitude through an engineer at Visteon.

Not what I had hoped for

Here's why. This is enough to sell me on a Plane Power alternator. Also, I verified the problems with automotive alternator brushes at altitude through an engineer at Visteon.

My Plane Power alternator officially went TU at 29.7 hours (earlier this morning). Ouch

In the event my PP goes TU on a weekend away from home. The aviation department at Autozone might get me home if I can find one that will mount on the same bracket. :)

There is no direct interchange. You can get an '87 Honda Civic unit, and it will have the same rotor and cooling fans as the PP unit. It will bolt up the same. But the regulator will have a different plug and the pulley will be for a multi-rib belt.

So, with a little foresight, make a short jumper harness so you can interchange regulator plugs. The pulley is easy enough to swap if you can find an impact wrench. There is a 12mm hex on the end of the rotor shaft so that it can be held with a box end wrench while unbolting the pulley nut, but I've never tried that method.