gnuse

Well Known Member
To my untrained eye, I have not been able to visually identify this mysterious "crowbar" that Plane-Power mentions in their documentation. Has someone seen it and can you describe to me what I am looking for? Thanks.

A crowbar is an electronic circuit usually located in a voltage regulator that is separate from the alternator.
It is used for preventing an over voltage or surge condition from damaging the circuits attached to the alternator.
It operates by putting a short circuit across the voltage regulator output.
This will trigger the alternator field circuit breaker, usually 5A.

Good luck

To my untrained eye, I have not been able to visually identify this mysterious "crowbar" that Plane-Power mentions in their documentation. Has someone seen it and can you describe to me what I am looking for? Thanks.
"Crowbar" is a term used with power supplies and systems where the system, in this case internal regulator, monitors the bus voltage - IF the bus voltage EXCEEDS a predetermined value then the, in this case internal regulator, SHUTS DOWN the power source so as to not allow the high voltage to damage external systems the power source is connected to.
So - If the Alternator senses the output voltage, at the output terminal of the alternator, exceeds a predetermined level the the alternator shuts it self down - buss voltage will DROP, current drawn by field will DROP. Generally - talking the alternator off line (shutting down field) and then bringing alternator back on-line (re-energize the field) will "reset" the Crowbar function unless another even is detected....
Hope this helps.