Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I received my copy of Plane & Pilot in the mail today and opened it to read "Partial Panel" by Lyn Freeman. It isn't there! What happened? I know I won't be renewing my subscription.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom said:
I received my copy of Plane & Pilot in the mail today and opened it to read "Partial Panel" by Lyn Freeman. It isn't there! What happened? I know I won't be renewing my subscription.

Bob Axsom

Probably something went wrong at the bindery when they put the magazine together. I've seen it happen with other publications, including Sport Aviation and the Aircraft Spruce catalog. Just let 'em know what's wrong and most magazines will send you a new copy or add an extra month to your subscription.

No this is different

They had a major mix-up last month with the feature article and there is an editor column in this issue but it is not Lyn Freeman. I don't know if the two items relate in any way but this is not a bindary problem. He may be ill, quit, got fired but he is not listed as the editor in the latest issue.

Bob Axsom

I got that today too and I noticed the same thing. So I checked the masthead and Freeman isn't listed there anymore.

Freeman previous had been listed as "editor" second on the list behind Steven Werner who was listed as editorial diretor/executive publisher.

this month, Werner did the column, and Jessica Ambats is listed as managing editor.

She had previously been listed as "features editor."

So Freeman is obviously gone.

I was also thinking as I read the mag, "what the heck am I spending money on this for anyway? (Answer: Actually I think a kid in the neighborhood was selling subscriptions for school or something and I'm a sucker for that stuff).

But I must get 8-10 magazines a month and I'll bet I can buy an instrument for what I spend.

So my subscription is up in November and I won't renew. There's just not that much in P&P anymore that I can't find somehwer eelse.

Besides, since Marc Cook took over Kitplanes, that's becoming my favorite magazine.

Oh, and Flying is gone when that subscription is up too. The only thing I read is Lane Wallace and I can stop in the library and read it.

Actually, he is gone. We have talked and I'd be delighted to bring him into the Kitplanes family.

And, thanks for the compliment, Bob: Check's in the mail. <grin = low-tech smilie>

I also enjoy Kitplanes mag. Its neat to see members of this forum (or thier products) in the mag. I also enjoy the 'Aero 'Lectrics' portion in the back. Its fun to build the circuits shown there.

I have discontinued both Flying and P&P. The only others I get now are EAA Sport Aviation and Aviation Week. At least I have it down to just three now :D

Kitplanes is great!

I want to speak up here also in giving kudos to Kitplanes. It by far is better than any other magazine I receive. That includes the AOPA and EAA publications.

I would like to see Kitplanes change their policy on accessing their website however. As much as I like their magazine, I am not going to pay a second subscription to see their website when it pretty much is just an electronic version of their magazine publication.

If anyone at Kitplanes is reading this, note that here is one subscriber's vote for a change on this issue. Otherwise I love the magazine.

Ditto on the kudos for Kitplanes. I'm in the middle of the prop balancing article now. Interesting stuff. It's too bad Sport Aviation can't have more articles on experimental aviation and less on Oshkosh.

I talked to a guy who knows Lyn Freeman a few weeks ago that confirmed he is no longer with P&P. What a shame, since like those above, his editorial was the first thing I read (sometimes the only article worth looking at) in that magazine.

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you when it comes to too many subscriptions. I won't be renewing Flying for sure, and P&P is on my chopping block as well.

Kitplanes is BY FAR my fav, followed by EAA Sport Aviation, AOPA Pilot, and Pilot Journal.

cjensen said:
I

Kitplanes is BY FAR my fav, followed by EAA Sport Aviation, AOPA Pilot, and Pilot Journal.

You should consider "Sportsman Pilot" by Jack Cox. He still writes up the people and their airplanes like he did when he and Golda were responsible for EAA's Sport Aviation for so many years. It is published quarterly. It and the RVator are the only two magazines I still read every issue cover-to-cover. The address is:

Sportsman Pilot
P.O. Box 400
Asheboro, NC 27204-0400​

Bob Axsom

Not to hijack this thread, but I have to chime in for my favorite avitaion magazine: Air & Space. If I could only keep one magazine subscription, I'd let all the others lapse and keep this one. It's about the only magazine I read cover-to-cover, and it's also the only one I get that isn't filled with stuff I already read about on the web three months ago. Give it a try, it's really an excellent publication.

mcb (not affiliated with Air & Space magazine)

I have to agree. Air & Space is marvelous. Wish I had their budget...

As for the web subscriptions, stay tuned. There will be news on that front after the first of the year.

--Marc

Davepar said:
Ditto on the kudos for Kitplanes. I'm in the middle of the prop balancing article now. Interesting stuff. It's too bad Sport Aviation can't have more articles on experimental aviation and less on Oshkosh.
Oh that reminds me, it'd be great if a magazine that catered to homebuilders -- hint -- could be an outlet for CAFE reports. EAA isn't interested in that sort of thing anymore.

I just read this month's Sport Aviation. No offense to exhibitors or anything, but I really don't care about having 6 pages dedicated to what it's like to be a vendor at Oshkosh.

Plane building!!!! Give me plane building!!!

CUSTOM PLANES

cCustom Planes was the Best mag I've ever read.. I say kitplanes is a close second/// It was a very sad day for me when I realized Custom Planes was no longer. :(
Brian

Kit Planes is the only magazine I subscribe to outside of EAAOPA. Its the next best thing to having an RV Magazine. The RVAtor is nice but...