RV8R999

Well Known Member
Anyone using a Plane Power experimental 60A alt?

Just bought a new one, installed it IAW instructions (it is internally regulated) and when I turn on the alt switch energizing the field current it draws just over 5A steady state. This seems unusually high to me. Doubled checked all the wiring. The field wire is connected to a pin in a VP-50 load control system and is configured as the pri alt field.

Sounds right to me. That's the reason for the split master switch, so if you're powering the main bus without the engine running you can disconnect the field to eliminate the draw.

Sounds right to me. That's the reason for the split master switch, so if you're powering the main bus without the engine running you can disconnect the field to eliminate the draw.

I know that my older 60 amp unit from Van's was getting up there too, and it was a reason to have the split switch. I now have the Plane Power, but haven't paid enough attention to remember. Wanted to reply, but didn't have a knowledgeable answer. :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

really, wow. My externally regulated ALT only draws about 1A with just the field wire powered. interesting.

Same here...

I have the same alternator with readings at minus 5-7 amps without the engine running.
If you let the alt switch stay on for a few minutes, the alternator itself gets somewhat warm. (guess how I've found that out...;))

I asked Plane Power about this and they said it's normal since the alternator tries to make power but can't since the engine is not running. But it'll still try to make power and uses power from the battery to do so.

PP said to turn on the battery switch only when working with something that needs power (testing lights, calibrating the EFIS etc)

Thanks! You saved me a phone call to PP. Using the VP50 you put the essential loads on the #1 switch which is the Main ALT/STANDBY ALT switch so in the event you lose the main ALT you can load shed by turning off the other switches and the loads connected directly to the ALT switch are the only ones being powered. THis means to work on those items with the engine off I have to energize the field of one of the ALTs. Luckily however, the SD8 is my standby and that only draws about .5A so Ill have to remember to switch to that on instead when working on stuff. Thanks for the info!

Ken

Plane Power 60A Alt fusing

I have the Plane Power 60 Amp alternator and had an issue with fusing. I have a panel mounted 5A circuit breaker next to my master switch. It is one that you can pull off that Bob Nuckles suggested to use so that you can pull to shut it down if need be without adding another switch. I had the CB connected to a 7 amp automotive ATO blade fuse in my fuse block. After only a few hours the 7 amp fuse blew, it must react much quicker than the CB of lower amperage. I changed the 7 amp blade fuse to 10 amp and have had no problems since. I am still protected of course by the 5 amp circuit breaker.

Checked the Plane Power amp draw...

On a Van's gauge scale that reads 0. 10. 20 ---- looks like 3.5 to 4 amps.

Close enough...

L.Adamson -- RV6A