Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Looking for two placards...
1. A metal (steel, brushed steel, whatever) Passenger Warning placard...I think the Van's one is metal, is it not? Anyway, something in metal with black lettering, which I can stick on the panel on the passenger side.
2. The simplest, shortest, neatest data placard I can find...Builder, Model, Serial Number. No EAA logo, no VAF logo, no nuthin'. Any sources out there other than going to a trophy shop?

I can always go get these made at a local trophy shop or something, but I like the silk-screened look (plus engraving for the data plate), and it just seems easier to buy than spec out and have custom-made...

TIA, as always!

Steve

American Data Plates in Lancaster CA does great work.
No web site but the number is 661-723-0942. Ask for Andy Meyer.

Steve: Aircraft Spruce has/had a small (3/4 inch by 3 inch) metal plate that contained only the four required data fields, which they engraved with your information at not additional charge. Good looking and no surplusage. It cost about $15 or 16, which was a bargain. I used one on my RV7A.
I cannot find in on their website online, but it was in the paper catalog last time I looked. Might be worth looking at a catalog or calling them to ask.

caution, frickin' lasers!

Just a data point....lots of trophy shops now use a process where they run a laser to image metal plates. The coloured emulsion on the surface is only millionths thick, so will not withstand abuse like the traditional mechanically engraved surface, or silkscreened as you say.
Ugly old stamping dies are even better! ( has that authentic imperfect look.):)

Turbine Aircraft Services has a marketing division in San Angelo, TX that does a lot of that work, can do laser cut or laser etching for data plates, placards, and instrument panels. I've used them before, good work.

Call Byron Kypfer, 325-486-9113.

Steve: Aircraft Spruce has/had a small (3/4 inch by 3 inch) metal plate that contained only the four required data fields, which they engraved with your information at not additional charge. Good looking and no surplusage. It cost about $15 or 16, which was a bargain. I used one on my RV7A.
I cannot find in on their website online, but it was in the paper catalog last time I looked. Might be worth looking at a catalog or calling them to ask.

That would be here....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2012Individual/Cat12423.pdf

But since it's made of aluminum, I don't think it's approved "fireproof"

Aluminum OK, "paper or plastic not"

That would be here....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2012Individual/Cat12423.pdf

But since it's made of aluminum, I don't think it's approved "fireproof"

Gil: The FAA order requires metal, not any particular metal. The factory plates are usually aluminum. I think the fireproof language means no plastic or Dymo tapes (though I've seen them).

Your catalog reference page, to the right middle of that page, is exactly the one I used and recommend. Note, as others have said here and supported by the catalog language, an experimental aircraft need not even have the N-number on the plate. So, only three required fields of data. Less than $15 and they do the engraving. Cannot beat that.

Gil: The FAA order requires metal, not any particular metal. The factory plates are usually aluminum. I think the fireproof language means no plastic or Dymo tapes (though I've seen them).

I believe the FAA does not regard aluminum as "fireproof". Even the AC Spruce catalog description says "Not FAA Approved"

All of the other ones I have seen have seen stainless steel - including the rest of them on the same catalog page.

Fireproof does mean steel or better.

I believe the FAA does not regard aluminum as "fireproof". Even the AC Spruce catalog description says "Not FAA Approved"

Thank you, Gil. I stand corrected. AC 45-2A does specify fireproof, and that term is defined in several places in FAA materials and website as material withstanding intense fire "at least as well as steel." See: http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/faa-definitions.html#F.

My plate will have to be replaced. Apparently, so long as no data is changed, the existing plate can be removed and replaced with a conforming one with no federal involvement.

I took the "not FAA Approved" notation to mean not affirmatively approved, rather than specifically non-compliant.

Mike