DaveWelch

Well Known Member
Building ELSA -12. Among the Placards is a small one that says "Minimum Fuel for Takeoff: 4 Gallons" or something close. I do not see it located in the Section 51 Instructions. Where should we install this one?

Check page 51-03. If you have a sight glass on you tank it goes there. On the other hand if you have a sight glass on your tank, you really need to upgrade your tank.

I'll have to look to be sure - but I think it is on the fuel tank where the fuel gauge is located. We bought the factory built fuel tank (an extra cost option), and I don't remember having to install any placard.

Bob

Ah Hah!

Thanks Guys,
My sight gage is long gone, so no worries.
Still bothers me that I missed it in the KAI. Maybe my vision is the worry <grin>.

Rich,

You're probably right. I'm sure it can be made to work well, although it also looks like an area that could be prone to leaking if it's not done just right. I didn't build mine, so I don't know how differently it would have turned out if I had. I'd already worked with Proseal on my RV-7 tanks, so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Before I did the upgrade my tank worked great too... as a strainer for slowly dispensing gasoline into the cockpit. :eek: I like the Moller gauge in the top a lot better.

My sight glass is worthless for determining fuel level, but it doesn't leak. I previously posted the dimensions of marks that I have on a flexible nylon tube that I use to sound my tank. My friend has an SLSA RV-12, and the Moeller gage seems pretty inaccurate, so I made him a sounding tube too.

The Moller gauge is not terribly accurate, but it's a good indication nonetheless. I find it especially useful when filling the tank. The sight glass isn't useful at all for that, nor is it visible in flight. I suppose either one just takes the place of removing the gas cap and looking into the tank during preflight. For that task, the top gauge seems far more useful and is far less prone to leaking.