mansboat

Hi All,

I've just installed a second Dynon D10A. I need to tie in the pitot line
from the first, but I'm not sure what kind of tubing was used. I'm not the
builder.

It looks like the colored stuff from SafeAir.

I picked up some 1/4" Polyethylene tubing, along with some "Watts" quick
connect fittings from home depot. Apparently this stuff is for hooking up
ice makers.

Anyway, I'm wondering:
-What material is the Safeair stuff made of?
-Will what I have bought be compatible?
-If not, what should I be buying?

It's all going to be in the panel or behind sub-panel

Thanks

Steve Brown
RV9A N598SD

safeair pitot

Hi steve, I just recieved my denon pitot system. It's polyethelene I believe. Two colour blue and green. It comes with quick connector tees for adapting to the other instuments. Their system comes with a warning not use any other quick connectors with THEIR proprietary lines because of the posibility of leaks. The system will be very easy to install. One can order the fittings separately and simply splice in a tee and add the adapter that transitions from the tubing to the denon threaded fitting. Try giving safeair a call they may even send you a few feet of tubing. You never know.

btw: Their static tubing is DOT listed white air-brake tubing.

Last edited:
Pitot

The Watts fittings from Lowes Depot will work fine on any of your 1/4 in. tubing runs, including the 1/4 in. aluminum tubing supplied by Van's et al. That way it's easy to tranfer from your aluminum runs to the poly tubing as long as they're 1/4 in. You're working with nearly zero psi on your static system and very low pressure on the pitot system. These fittings are good for at least the 40-60 psi that is present in your household water supply system.

I used them on mine. Quick and easy hookups and seem to be bullet proof so far.

Last edited:
"The Watts fittings from Lowes Depot will work fine on any of your 1/4 in. tubing runs"

Thanks Mannan!
I'm going to the airport and install them. I'll probably order stuff that looks compatible with the safeair stuff, just for visual tidiness, but it sounds like there is no rush.

I found the source of safeairs product via [email protected]:
http://www.mcmaster.com/index.asp
search on: 5097T41

I tried mixing the safeair fittings with the Van's tubing (clear/whitish colored) -- very similar size tubing. I found that the safeair fittings do not "grip" the Van's tubing properly, and can pull loose (and therefore may leak?)