Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Guys,

Thanks for the input on the plastic tube vs. aluminum tube for the pitot line. I think I am going to go with the aluminum tube. That said, how about the pitot tube. How well does the stock 90 deg 1/4 alum tube in the plans work vs. a much more expensive pitot tube. I WAS interested in a nice heated pitot tube, until I priced them. I still might go that route, but that is money that I can better spend on other parts right now. For that matter, I guess I could run wiring for a heated pitot incase I added it later. I know there are a lot of RV's flying with the stock bent tube pitot.

I am getting closer to closing the wings. I'm picking up my .032" sheets in Wichita next week for the single piece top skins. Trying to nail down wiring and pitot system this week.

Gregg

The original aluminum pitot shown in the plans has worked beautifully for me for almost 19 years.

The original aluminum pitot shown in the plans has worked beautifully for me for almost 19 years.

Unless someone wacks it with a chain that is being threaded through the too close tie down ring....:)

Will it work for the dynon AOA as well ?

I was just talking to Dynon and I'd like the AOA feature, but need the second pitot line. The wings are finished with an aluminum line in the left wing. I'm wondering about putting one in the right wing for the AOA, but don't know if it would work or if I need the more expensive purpose built pitot tube?

I was just talking to Dynon and I'd like the AOA feature, but need the second pitot line. The wings are finished with an aluminum line in the left wing. I'm wondering about putting one in the right wing for the AOA, but don't know if it would work or if I need the more expensive purpose built pitot tube?

Paul, If you will send me your e-mail address, I'll send pictures of how I added the AOA mast to the original RV pitot. <n168tx(at)flytx.net>
I simply "nested" another aluminum line behind the original and "JB Welded" them together. Works great. Forward end of the AOA line is bent down 60?.

Mel's Suggestion

Paul,

I used Mel's suggestion. This is what it looks like:

44470abd.jpg

The airspeed pitot is the standard Van's aluminum tube. The AOA pitot is 1/4 ice maker water supply tubing that I ran through my electrical conduit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

T.

Cessna Heated Pitot

I bought a used Cessna heated pitot. Lots of them in breaker's yards. Not cheap, but less expensive than a brand new one.