Don Jones

Well Known Member
So why is it that all the pitot tube mounts hang the tube so far below the wing. I know it has to be in clean un-disturbed air, but it sure seems like over kill to me. Has anyone kept it closer to the wing? Ideally what is the measurement from the skin to the tube? I have lots of the tubing like gretz and others use and am going to roll my own mount.

Last edited:
People have been there done that...so I say forget it. Any closer and you'll start inducing error into the pitot system due to the proximity of it to the wing. No reason to re-invent the wheel. :)

Cheers,
Stein

We all know Van's remarkable ability to efficiently and economically provide just exactly enough material in the kits, and nothing more....so I'd say look at the plans and measure the distance that the "standard" pitot tube extends below the wing, and call that the minimum. (I'm guessing that Van put it as close to the wing as possible without inducing error - any more and he'd be wasting material!);)

Paul

We all know Van's remarkable ability to efficiently and economically provide just exactly enough material in the kits, and nothing more....so I'd say look at the plans and measure the distance that the "standard" pitot tube extends below the wing, and call that the minimum. (I'm guessing that Van put it as close to the wing as possible without inducing error - any more and he'd be wasting material!);)

Paul

Thanks Paul and Stein, that's what I had planned. I just wondered if anyone had made the extension shorter. Sounds like others have tried it so I won't go there.

I just cut and drilled the holes for mine today, and Have to admit I thought about cutting it down an inch or so (Safe Air 1 mast), but I think if I do anything, I'll just add a little material to the trailing edge of the mast to create a pressure recovery shape. We'll see how I feel about it when I get to the point of doing the gear legs and wheel pants. I'm thinking I won't care at that point;)