Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
We are going to chance out the Van's pitot for one of the "A.O.A." Garmin units.
This looked to be the best place to post this question as it ties to the "EFIS" for DATA gathering. My question is has anyone seen a stainless or Ti. mount for the pitot " the mast that mounts pitot to the wing or in the meddle of the wing and pitot"? We know we can get the Gretz model in chrome or paintable, but thought it would be a good idea to see if there was an other option.
Thanks for your help. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

I went with the Gretz mount because it is adjustable, after installation. Or, at least mine is.

Thanks!

Thanks guys, I see Bob's pitot mast in his online store as part number SA-06BL, @ $56.00. I will give him a call and check it out, Bob has always been good to us and this looks like a good deal to me.. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Fallow-up Question on Pitot

OK we have our Garmin Pitot tube and one of Avery's Safeair masts.
After looking up the install directions we see that there are a couple of measurement that can be used to place the leading tip of the pitot tube in place. Something like 4-18" from the leading edge, and 4-10" from the bottom of the wing. We know that the pitot mast will go best just behind the spar, next to an inspection cover, 14-16" back of the leading edge of the wing. My question is. Have any of you been cutting the mast down a little shorter than they come, stock? I am thinking of cutting it so the pitot will be at say 5 1/2" from the bottom of the wing. This would put less stress on the assembly when in the air or less drag , if you want to look at it that way.
We just don't know if anyone has been cutting them down and if that change from the standard length [I get 7"] to a shorter length has made any problems or bad readings. I guess the question should be, are they working if you cut them down a little, but not to the limit? Thanks for the help on this one. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

The Gretz mast is shorter than the safeair one. I would think that being farther away from the bottom of the wing would be a good thing, within reason. I bet that's the reason the safeair mast is a little longer.