Dugaru

Well Known Member
IMG_4859.jpeg
I hate to brag, but I seem to have an enormous pitot tube. See attached photo. I can’t seem to find a cover that fits — the longest one appears to be an 8 inch cover for a PC 12 or DA 42.

My current cover, after years of faithful service, has given up the ghost and my duct tape repair seems a bit hillbilly, Does anyone know where I can find a new cover that fits? Failing that, what’s my best option?

Thanks!

I thought your -9A had a certain swagger.

You could pick up some Gore-Tex material and stitch one yourself.

Thanks (except for that suspicious “bent” observation 🤣🤣) but I’m looking for a full cover so all the orifices are protected. Had a mud dauber get into the pitot tube on my old Warrior and, on the subject of the quality of my preflight inspection that day, let’s just say I was grateful my instructor had drilled me many times in landing without a working airspeed indicator. 😬

In lieu of finding a Magnum cover, could you take the existing one to an upholstery shop and just have them re-stitch the flag portion onto the cover portion? Cheap and easy.

In lieu of finding a Magnum cover, could you take the existing one to an upholstery shop and just have them re-stitch the flag portion onto the cover portion? Cheap and easy.
Thought of that but the fabric of the cover portion has basically unraveled/come completely apart. I think a homespun complete rebuild appears to be in order.

Just about any upholstery shop or seamstress can make a custom cover for you out of some strong fabric or vinyl. I had two made up for my airplane, just to have a spare. Both have a long "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" banner on them. After 5yrs the 1st one is still going strong.

It occurs to me that, in the true spirit of America and experimental aviation, I should make one entirely out of duct tape!
If you follow DanH’s lead, you would make one out of fiberglass.

View attachment 63862I hate to brag, but I seem to have an enormous pitot tube. See attached photo. I can’t seem to find a cover that fits — the longest one appears to be an 8 inch cover for a PC 12 or DA 42.

My current cover, after years of faithful service, has given up the ghost and my duct tape repair seems a bit hillbilly, Does anyone know where I can find a new cover that fits? Failing that, what’s my best option?

Thanks!
A tennis yellow ball, with a slit to push over the pitot tube, has worked for the last 12 years on our RV. I did add an orange ribbon to hang down from the tennis ball.

Too short I’m afraid!
We just grabbed some inexpensive red vinyl from local craft store, traced it out and quickly sewed one up. Ours ripped after 12 years and this one already has 3 years on it. Buying the minimum quantity, I have enough material for another 2 or 3 covers.