aadamson

Well Known Member
I've seen the kits that Safeair1 offer, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I also thought I saw just the fittings and tubing so you could roll your own if so inclinded. After doing a little web research, I refreshed my memory.

Go to www.mcmaster.com

On the mcmaster site, search for "instant tube" and when you get there, you are looking for the Polybutylene fittings as the tee's and wyes have mounting holes.

There are numerous kinds available, and you'll need the tees, wyes, and straight to NPT brass fittings.

I don't know on the RV's, but on the Lancair that I'm building, it uses poly-flo tubing of the size .250 OD x .170 ID x .040 wall normally, so I figure that you should use the same size tubing if you are going to these instant release fittings. (You can't use just any tubing so read on.)

Next search for polyurethane tubing, you'll need to look for the one that has a hardness of 88-97 and there is one in there that is also available in 6 different colors.

Hope this helps... I'm probably going to order up a bunch as I need to get my pitot and static system installed.

Alan

Last edited:
Other tubing options

One thing that I didn't find while searching. I believe you could also use polyethylene tubing with those fittings. By doing so, you can find the .25x.17x.04 size... I couldn't find it in polyurethane.

I don't know why all the other push to connect fittings say polyethylene and yet the ones I mentioned above dont... But in looking at the mscdirect website (another mcmaster competitor), they show polyethylene as a supported tubing.

Alan

aadamson said:
I've seen the kits that Safeair1 offer, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I also thought I saw just the fittings and tubing so you could roll your own if so inclinded. After doing a little web research, I refreshed my memory.

Clearly the Safeair folks don't make the fittings. However, for me it was not worth the time to find their source and undercut their business. They have done the research and put together a great kit for us. The time spent doing that could have been work done on the plane. That, to me, is worth the few bucks they make off of it. Additionally, they will customize as necessary.

Sorry if this comes off a little harsh but unless we support these business they won't be around in the future. I do understand that many must out of need build on the cheap. Fully understood.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV-7 N717EE

Not sure?

Darwin,

Not sure why you took exception to my post. It has nothing todo with supporting a vendor or not, I hope those that want to buy the kit, do so. However, it has everything to do with "customization". I'm not building an RV and they don't have a kit for my aircraft, even tho it will have pitot static, and it will have an AOA, etc. The layout however dictates that this type of connector be used. I searched, found it and figured I'd help others doing the same.

Your post suggests that I should have never posted this information because it takes potential business away from SafeAir1. I'm not sure I understand that issue, as it seems counter intuitive to Capitalism and advancement. Besides truth be known, this will probably generate business for them due to free advertising :)

For some reason, I thought the purpose of this site and these forums was to promote ideas, exchange, q&a, etc. That all I was trying to do.

Bottom line, if you want the kit, go buy it, if you want to customize a system and need to know where the parts came from, I believe the above helps that desire as well.

my .02
Alan

Quick update

I heard back from SMC on the use of Polyethlyene tubing. They say it will work fine. This means, Poly-flo as its commonly known will work, it's what most kit companies include in their kit (at least Lancair does), and it's available from ACS. If you want colors tho, you can get it from mcmaster carr at www.mcmaster.com

44-P, which is .250 OD x .170 ID x .040 wall is what is commonly used. That is the Poly-flo number and what you'd find on ACS.

Alan