Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if any one has any experience with Parker type fitting for pitot/Static plumbing? This is the type that has a O-ring to help to create a good seal and you can see it here
. http://flow-control.globalspec.com/...alSupply/6B35A2F3-139C-46CB-8C60-794F69A2BA84

I had used the barb type fitting and my IFR static test failed, so I am planning on replacing all of them but hoping to do it only once. The guy that tested my system didn't have a very positive experience with the "safe air" type fitting. He says they seal really good under pressure but not that well under vacuum (negative pressure) and he recommended the type with the O-ring

Of course nylo seal is what others have used but I am not sure how well they seals and under what method (I don't believe they have any O-rings, right?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/hanyloseal.php

Any info/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto on SafeAir pitot/static tubing having issues on IFR certifications. We've had many fail and it always seems to be those quick disconnect fittings that leak. We've also seen several that leak right at the static port connection.

I used those Nyloseal fittings and they work just fine. Make sure you use the little insert (they will leak if you don't use those inserts)..

Also, what worked absolutely great was regular quick-disconnect fitting from Lowe's -- I used an elbow screwed into the static ports (I know, I know.. blasphemy... non aviation part)... no leaks at all.

My pitot/static system passed IFR-level checks with flying colors. and yes, I've seen same thing with safe air fittings that you mentioned..

Rodmire,
Do you now if Nylo-seal come with the insert or do I need to get that separately? The description says that it comes with nut and sleeves and I am not sure if the sleeve but nothing about insert?

The Parker brand looks really good and Vans use them for their standard break kit. But not sure how good they are for sealing air? They have an O-ring that provides the sealing.

Thanks

The insert is a separate item and is not included in the fitting "assembly" -- make sure you order it separately.

It is my understanding that this insert is not needed if you are using NyloSeal tubing (all other types of tubing would require inserts).

One option if you...

.....I had used the barb type fitting and my IFR static test failed, so I am planning on replacing all of them but hoping to do it only once. .....

Any info/experience would be greatly appreciated.

...do use the barb type fitting is to add an O-Ring over the tubing so it rests in the narrow part of a barb.

As the tubing experiences plastic "creep" and looses some of it's grip, the rubber O-ring will act like a small circular clamp and keep the tubing pressed against the barb.

Experience from many gliders that sit in trailers in the Mojave desert sun and heat has shown this little cheap trick to be quite effective for static and pitot lines, even with cheap PVC tubing.

I have found that the inserts really help keep the fittings secure - I have occasionally assembled fittings without them and had them creep or slip out - not nice!

Next time I get a chance, I am going to try the new style fittings that Stein sells - they sure look good to me, and he's been building a lot of panels....there's got to be something to them (and they aren't much more expensive!).

Paul

I looked at the ones Stein sells and it looks very similar to "safe air" push-on type fitting. Any info if those are inherently different then "safe air" push-on type fitting which most people agree it does not work well for IFR.

On the other hand, I think the fitting from Parker (link above) seem to be working very good. I am testing with one that I have and has held 25 in vacuum for the last 30 minutes without loosing any pressure. It is worth checking out.

....... "safe air" push-on type fitting which most people agree it does not work well for IFR.......

I don't know what "most" people you've been talking to, but with several thousand of these fittings flying in many IFR certified airplanes (many of which we've done the IFR certification for, both experimental and certified), I can tell you they work just fine if installed properly. Like most everything avionics/instrument related, the level to which they work is almost directly related to the quality of the installation. This is true no matter which type of fitting you use...if you install them improperly or use the wrong tubing, they will all leak.

Cheers,
Stein

I've got a guy that's produced for Mooney, can get you a set cheap.

Many of Mooneys flown IFR...

Last edited: