roee

Well Known Member
In the Cherokees I'm currently flying, there are spring-loaded drain valves (just like typical fuel sump drains) for the pitot and static air lines at their lowest points. This is to provide a means for purging any water that may have made its way into those lines and has become trapped. I haven't seen any discussions of building such provisions into RV's. Did I miss it, is it an oversight, or is there a reason why they really wouldn't be necessary?

Thanks,
-Roee

My Mooney didn't have drains either, and it is set up the same way as my -7. Both the pitot and static openings are already the lowest point in the system. The pitot will be covered when not in use as well. Actually, thinking about it, the pitot probably did have a drain on it, but not one with some kind of manual release. The AOA system I installed does provide a spring drain to check for water though, it is a tiny (.040)hole on the upper surface of the wing

I installed a drain/alternate static on the pilot's side sidewall below the panel. It can be activated in flight.

I used a Tee, about 6" of tubing and a locking fuel drain. Not required for VFR, but easy to install and allows an upgrade to IFR later on.

Vern