kaweeka

Well Known Member
I read multiple threads about plumbing the pitot/AOA while building as well as threads about where to place the mast for a retrofit but, I don't see much detail about running the pitot/AOA lines in a retrofit. I'm replacing the standard bent tube Vans pitot with the Garmin unheated Pitot/AOA on my -9A. Got the Gretz mast and will locate in the bay just outboard of the inspection cover as suggested in multiple threads. My question regards the actual plumbing and eventual track into the cabin. Since there is only one line and there will need to be two, has anyone used the single as a fish line and pulled the two from the cabin out to the wing? The conduit for strobe and position lights seems pretty full so I don't see that as an option. Would removing the left fuel tank make this better and easier in the end? After removing the wing root fairing, there is very little improvement in access or visibility. All I can see it the pitot line entering the cabin just under the aileron push rod. Hints from anyone who has done this already would be welcome.
Thank you,
David

Just recently installed my wings, and decided to rip out that nice aluminum line I made, went with nylon reinforced DOT 1/4" air brake lines, a lot more durable and kink proof bending around sharp corners. The other reason was the ease of connections made in tight locations, with the push lock connectors.

for the location... make a note of where the tie-down ring is located and make sure there will be no interference with a rope or chain. I think my pitot/aoa mast is just outboard of the outboard inspection cover and it can cause tying down a problem some times.

I also pulled the aluminium line out and replaced it with the flexible hose. Wings were completed and installed. I was able to run 1 line were the aluminum line went and I happened to have just enough room to run the other line with the wires for the wing lights ( I have bushings and grommets, no conduit). It was a pain and awkward, but I was able to get to everything reaching through the inspection panels.