A number of RVs I've personally seen have their Dynon or other pitot tube mounted directly in the inspection plate rather than in one of the outboard bays secured to a rib. Yet none of the builder's logs I've seen here have it in the inspection plate.

Seems like easy access in the inspection plate. Anyone see a problem with that?

Just make sure you have disconnect fittings and flexible lines with enough slack to pull the panel out. I just mounted mine near an inspection plate, and it is just as easy to access, however.

I did mount my OAT sensor on an inspection plate, and on hindsight I should have just placed it nearby, eliminating one connector from the system.

Chris

I mounted just inside the wing inspection plate. It was just not stable enough, so I had to add a doubler to stiffen it up a bit.

pitot

well, that's my plan. i have it made up in an inspection plate with a doubler and the tube that exits the plane is made of flexible alum. tube. it is very easy to replace the tube if it gets bent. i have had this set up with the soft tube on a high wing and it will protect the skin if bumped. haven't had to replace it yet.

I just made a new access panel out of the same material I used to make an instrument sub-panel, which I believe is .050" aluminum. You can see an image in the link in my signature.