xblueh2o

Well Known Member
I tried searching old threads and looking at various build logs but I haven't found a satisfactory answer to my question yet. I plan on putting an AOA pitot in my RV-8 QB wings. Since I want IFR capability I plan on a heated pitot. For ease of installation I want to run plastic pitot and AOA lines. I have read instructions that say to be sure and not connect plastic lines too close to the pitot head for fear of melting the plastic. The question is, how far away? All the pitot tubes I have seen seem to come with 6-8" of metal line. Do they really want you to connect that far away or can you shorten the metal portion and convert to plastic at some distance closer to the pitot head? Being able to shorten the metal line from the pitot head would also make installation so much easier.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Heated Pitot

"Since I want IFR capability I plan on a heated pitot."

Some pitot systems include AOA sensors, and may be your best course of action. But.....Heated pitot is NOT required for IFR flight!

Gretz heated pitot

I used the full length of 1/4" copper (probably 6" to 8") that was integral with the Gretz unit, and then connected a flared 1/4 Al line to it with an AN union fitting. Had no problem.

I have the Gretz mount that I am starting to mock up into the wing. The mount itself is probably 4" but I was wondering if there would be any difficulties dealing with the extra few inches of metal line that would protrude from the mount.