bkthomps

Well Known Member
So, this may be a dumb question- but if I plan to run the dynon glass system, with steam backup, do I need TWO pitot's? What exactly is the incompatibility between the diff types?

One Pitot tube is...

... all that is needed. They both share the same line and pressure.

I have both traditional steam gauges and a Dynon 10A. I use the Dynon pitot tube w/ AOA capability. Thus I have two airspeed readings that are not the same.

The Dynon is quite accurate , and the steam gauge reads 7knots higher at the low end of the scale and gradually approaches the Dynon reading at the high end of the scale. This is as compared with a manometer calibration test.

so the dynon provides the additional AOA readings which is why it's "specific" to dynon's needs, otherwise standard steam gauge will take the same feed but may indicate differently at lower airspeeds

I think that's an acceptable discrepancy

What noelf is saying is that the mechanical gauge is not as accurate as the Dynon, not that our pitot causes any issues. It's the old "a man with two watches never knows what time it is" joke.

You have two pitot options with a Dynon:

1) Any "normal" pitot. You can use any pitot probe you would use with any steam instrument with any Dynon EFIS. You will get accurate airspeed readings. You can split this line and go to as many airspeed indicators as you want. You will not get AOA on the Dynon if you go this way.

2) The Dynon AOA pitot. This allows a Dynon EFIS to display AOA. It has two ports on it. One is a 100% normal pitot port. The second is for AOA. Run the normal pitot port to the Dynon and any other IAS indicators. Then run the AOA to just the Dynon. Again, accurate airspeed.

As noelf says, just don't be surprised when your mechanical IAS gauge is a lot less accurate than the Dynon ;)

IMHO you don't have a true independent backup ASI unless you a separate probe and associated lines. Still most people use one probe for both their EFIS and Steam indicators.