sahrens

Well Known Member
I have been researching pitot-static testing and have read many threads. None of them seem to address this question. I have finished connecting the pitot tube and AOA lines to the Dynon pitot tube. I am about to close the wing and would really like to know the connections up to the fuselage are air tight.

I am considering lightly (read low) pressure testing of those lines. Something similar to the fuel tank test. I do not have any flight instruments connected, so the limit to the pressure would be the connectors and the tubing.

Assuming I develop some kind of test, what would be an appropriate pressure (1, 5, 10 psi?) The allowable drop in pressure is 100 ft/min during an IFR certification test, but that assumes a complete pitot-static system with pressure sensitive instrumentation. How long would the lines have to hold constant pressure before showing any reduction? (1min, 5 mins, an hour?) Is this really measurable given no flight instruments?

The balloon fuel tank process is a great start, but it provides no direct pressure reading and is not sensitive enough to indicate slight pressure changes. Just trying to ensure I am not working inside the access panel trying to fix a leak I could have discovered earlier. Thanks for any insight.

More research

After digging through more threads I found Keith Horton's discussion and his wonderful website. After spending time there I have my answer.

Thank you Keith.

Plug the AOA and pitot inlet. Disconnect the lines from any instruments and draw a vacuum with your mouth on them then plug with your tongue. If it draws your tongue into the line and holds your lines are good to go, cheap, quick and easy.
Caution! Take any burrs off the line or you might cut your tongue.