jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone out there have any experience with these CB's? They are about $5.50 from ACS. I know they are not pull-able. From what I have read on this site, most bldrs prefer Klixon breakers ($20/ea) which are pull-able. These W58 breakers are a tad bigger. Can you gang them up on a solid buss bar easily?

Looks like if you needed a few breakers that you wanted to pull, the Tyco W23 breaker can be used, but, it doesn't look like you could gang them on a solid buss bar along with the W58's because the connection layout differs on the back of the breaker.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbcircuitbrkr.php

What is the mindset out there? Klixon or Tyco W 58's?

Jim

Can't speak from experience because I'm not flying, but I do have a handful of the Tyco W23's that I plan on using. As far as a bus bar between the W23s and the W58s, you could group the 23's together and the 58's together, and bend/twist the bus bar as needed to transition from one bank to another. Or you could jumper two separate bus bars together with the appropriate heavy gauge wire.

I believe there are lots of certified aircraft out there flying the W23 breakers.

My point of view only....but if I can't "pull" the breaker, I might as well use a fuse. fuses work for circuit protection just as well as breakers - the advantage to having a breaker is that it is very easy to use it as an "occasional use" switch - for EFIS boxes for instance, where you occasionally want to power cycle them while doing software updates/configuration.

My RV-8 has W23 breakers, the new RV-3 has the more compact Klixxons. I went with the W23's on the -8 back when I was "poor" and wanted to save a few dollars. The few dollar I saved? It was nothing in the big scheme of things, and I could have built a slightly more compact power panel had I spent a few dollars more. Almost every time I try and save a few percent on a build part, I regret it later.....but that's just me.

Paul